The Man Who Turned Himself Off by Dave Weaver

Tell us what you thought about the October 2011 issue

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post October 20, 2011, 03:53:48 PM

The Man Who Turned Himself Off by Dave Weaver

This is a particularly well-done piece. At first it reminded me of the movie 'Click' with Adam Sandler - where a man starts skipping over parts of his life, eventually slamming into old age. This is even more pertinent, however, because the result is almost instantaneous. It might remind the reader of how close each of us is to nothingness - no spouse, no job, no house, not even our sanity.
The writing is very tight and exact - excellent. Well worth reading.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 28, 2011, 11:34:27 AM

Re: The Man Who Turned Himself Off by Dave Weaver

Well, that's one way to get some peace and quiet . . . and no surprise that he had to do it first on rap.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post November 13, 2011, 12:59:36 PM

Re: The Man Who Turned Himself Off by Dave Weaver

bottomdweller wrote:This is a particularly well-done piece. At first it reminded me of the movie 'Click' with Adam Sandler - where a man starts skipping over parts of his life, eventually slamming into old age. This is even more pertinent, however, because the result is almost instantaneous. It might remind the reader of how close each of us is to nothingness - no spouse, no job, no house, not even our sanity.
The writing is very tight and exact - excellent. Well worth reading.

It is indeed nice as a flash piece. But I found it one of those premises that would certainly benefit from a long treatment.

This one reminded me of a mix of James Thurber's Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Star Trek TOS episode Charlie X, and Twilight Zone's It's a Good Life (with a young Billy Mumy!)

I noticed that the lead character shows he is a good person by just trying to get away from it all, and he doesn't go on a country wide killing spree with his expanded powers.

P.s. The reprise is nice. "It's Still a Good Life".

Return to October 2011