Fool Brittania  By Gareth D. Jones

Tell us what you thought about the August 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Senior Editor

Post August 09, 2005, 10:41:27 AM

Having been a fan of "that show" for the last 30 years, I saw the references in the beginning of the story quite clearly. Very nice way to do it, though. The subtlety of some of the historical events made it fun to figure them out. I'm sure I missed several.<br>I did have to read the Disclaimer at the end twice before I got it, though. That snuck up on me.<br>Dan<br>
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Editor Emeritus

Post August 09, 2005, 10:57:27 AM

Re: Fool Brittania  By Gareth D. Jones

Yes ... they do sneak up on you. Then the next day, all your painstakingly acquired grammar and spelling skils ar gon.<br><br>Robtre M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

WebMaven

Post August 10, 2005, 11:01:49 AM

This story didn't really work for me, and I'm not sure why. I think it's supposed to be a comedy of sorts, but it never really gets started as a story. The pace is meandering, and I wasn't even really sure until the end that I was meant to be reading a letter of some sort.<br><br>The tie-ins to various historical and media events was amusing, but after the third or fourth iteration, I really was just waiting for something to *happen*. There's a lot of exposition with no real payoff in the end, which left me feeling vaguely dissatisfied by it.<br><br>And a final nitpick, becuase I'm a pedant. The first episode of Doctor Who was aired on November 23, 1963, the day *after* the Kennedy assassination, not the day of. (November 22, 1963, also marked the deaths of Aldous Huxley and CS Lewis. But I digress...)<br><br>To summerize, this story need a clearer structure, but more importantly, for something to actually happen in it. As it stands, it's a series of vaguely amusing anecdotes that leaves me still hungry for a story at the end.

Master Critic

Post August 10, 2005, 12:13:06 PM

<br>don't think this really was designed as a story, more of an anecdotal spoof or a roast of british history, and as such cannot be critiqued as a story proper. thus i disagree with what Rob W. said.<br><br>i for one loved it, and the ending, even though i knew it would end like that, worked very well. i think Gareth done us all proud, luv, save for neglecting a few notable British gaffes from the period covered, like the handover of a certain territory i happen to like very much. i hope one day that one WILL be explained away using oids.<br>coincidentally, wasn't there a computer game back in the mid-80's called oids, probably on the Speccie, C64 or Amstrad? hey Gareth you ought to know. <br><br>in short, very eloquent, funny (the footie side explanation was quite convincing, i'm afraid), and reminiscent of our conspiracy theory faves. <br><br>long leave the eeloumeanatie!<br><br>good piece, well done!<br><br>PS: Rob...can't believe you missed on that one! spelling and langauge issues? prominent figures? replaced by world-domination scheming aliens? come on!

WebMaven

Post August 10, 2005, 12:55:33 PM

don't think this really was designed as a story, more of an anecdotal spoof or a roast of british history, and as such cannot be critiqued as a story proper. thus i disagree with what Rob W. said.
<br> <br>But it was presented as a story, and my expectations were set that I would get a story. Hence, I was unsatisfied in the end. I was left with an overwhelming sense of "So what?"<br><br>

PS: Rob...can't believe you missed on that one! spelling and langauge issues? prominent figures? replaced by world-domination scheming aliens? come on!
<br><br>Now this elicits a prickly response. I apologize in advance.<br><br>Comedy is hard. One of the many reasons why comedy is hard is because everyone has a unique sense of humour. What works for one person may not work for another. As a result, the notion that if someone didn't enjoy a particular piece of humour, it is becuase they didn't "get it" is both useless and offensive.<br><br>For what its worth, I found bits of the story amusing, if not laugh-out-loud funny. As a matter of fact, I went to read this story first out of the issue, because I fully expected that I would enjoy it greatly. And I was disappointed, because it didn't meet my expecations.<br><br>Does that mean it was bad? Hardly. De gustibus non est disputandum, and all that. But it just didn't work for me, at least not as a whole piece.<br><br>
Last edited by doc on August 10, 2005, 12:59:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Master Critic

Post August 11, 2005, 12:00:11 AM

<br>crap, Rob, i'm sorry, my bad. that last PS remark wasn't for you, it was actually for Rob M., i forgot to add the initial. now, that's not saying i don't expect you to "get" smart components of a story, Rob W. please don't take it like that, and also, always assume whatever i post isn't meant to offend anyone.<br><br>later,<br><br>Lee

Commenter

Post August 12, 2005, 05:03:46 AM

I thought this was a well written story, both fun and funny. I didn't see the ending coming, and when it came I liked it. But I fear for Britain if people who aren't very good at spelling are 'oids'. I think the 'oids' are winning...

Editor Emeritus

Post August 12, 2005, 03:32:36 PM

I thought this was a well written story, both fun and funny.  I didn't see the ending coming, and when it came I liked it.  But I fear for Britain if people who aren't very good at spelling are 'oids'.  I think the 'oids' are winning...
<br><br>Its knot jest Birtian yu shood whirry abbot.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post August 14, 2005, 12:15:10 AM

<br>yeah, but Rob M, you still haven't caught on to who's also an oid. a fave or yours i think.<br><br>Lee

Editor Emeritus

Post August 14, 2005, 03:32:30 AM

yeah, but Rob M, you still haven't caught on to who's also an oid. a fave or yours i think.

Lee
<br><br>Nah. Dubya and Dan Quayle never COULD spell.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post August 14, 2005, 08:05:40 PM

I don't usually enjoy all narrative stories, but this was fun. A good little story and a tight read. And I'm not just saying that because the author's name is Jones, either. Although, I do like seeing our people get their name in print more and more often. <br><br>Good job.<br><br>-- david j.
Check out my blog: http://wp.me/NXsO

Master Critic

Post August 15, 2005, 10:36:08 PM

This one worked for me. I think if it had been longer, I would have gotten tired with it. I find conspiracy theory especially rewarding (whether it's meant to be fiction or not). I just marvel at the imagination of folks that can connect fluoride in the water with the pyramid on the dollar bill.<br><br>The narrative is dry. It's meant to be in order to give it a sense of false seriousness and weight.<br><br>The punch line at the end is priceless. ;D<br>
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Master Critic

Post August 17, 2005, 09:07:53 AM

<br>good comments from Jaimie. conspiracies rule. probably because most of em ain't conspiracies at all. it's like one of my ex girlfriends, she kept telling me how sensitive i was when she was in fact grossly insensitive. why am i talking about this? must be the heinekens.<br>and this story had an enlightening angle on the genre, utilizing excellent so-called British humor (often said to be dry), and this droll officialspeak which always works well in a comical setting.<br><br>anyway, i'd imagine Jones to be quite popular in any English-speaking context anyway.<br><br>Lee

Commenter

Post August 19, 2005, 12:11:09 PM

Excellent, I lucked out again! <br><br>I loved the story. I got the Doctor Who references and couldn't stop laughing. And yes, the punchline was priceless. <br><br>It sounds more like a humorous essay than a short story, or maybe you can have a short story that looks like an essay but is a story... :)
I love hell!

Critic

Post August 22, 2005, 04:50:56 AM

OK, I'm breaking my own golden rule here by commenting on my own story! I was interested in a couple of comments made about whether the format makes it a real story. My feeling is that science fiction should push the boundaries not only of fiction, but also of format. The 'correspondance' format was popular during the 40's, and I've used that method as well as diaries, newspaper cuttings and reports. All can be successful as long as there's a point to them (as with a regular story). You do risk rejection by some of the more traditional markets, but there's a home for everything out there. Admittedly only one other of my 'different' formats is available so for: 'Pro Capitaneous Mori', and shock, horror, it's a Star Trek fanfic: http://www.trekfiction.com/directory/author-266_1.html See what you think. Sorry, editors, for trying to entice your loyal readership to a different site.<br><br>Gareth

Editor Emeritus

Post August 22, 2005, 07:53:40 AM

...Sorry, editors, for trying to entice your loyal readership to a different site.

Gareth
<br><br>We don't mind, as long as you MENTION APHELION EVERYWHERE YOU POST OR PUBLISH ANYTHING, FOREVER AND EVER (if not longer).<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post August 22, 2005, 12:47:02 PM

<br>don't think there is a golden rule like that. if anything, it should be mandatory to comment on your own stuff, and respond to input by fellow readers. otherwise we're not a community.<br><br>Lee

Senior Editor

Post August 22, 2005, 01:18:16 PM

I *like* for people to comment on and answer comments on their own stuff. I do it. Why sould anyone restrict themselves from commenting on their own vision, as well as how others interprit it?<br>Feel free, just don't post things that are only adverts in the Lettercol. LOL! We're here to teach each other and learn from one another. The more minds the merrier.<br>Dan<br>
Last edited by Vila on August 22, 2005, 01:20:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

WebMaven

Post September 06, 2005, 11:38:40 AM

There's certainly nothing wrong with experimenting with different formats of stories. And I appear to be in the minority, so it probably worked better for most people than it did for me. :)

Return to August 2005