The Monster Book for Girls Submission Call

Tell us what you thought of the July/August issue!

Commenter

Post October 05, 2010, 12:00:35 PM

The Monster Book for Girls Submission Call

Dear All

First of all, hello everybody. I'm Terry Grimwood, author of "The Places Between" and "The Exaggerated Man" (a shameless plug I know but every opportunity has to be grasped!) and I'm pleased to "meet" you. Writing is a lonely business, so the more friends the better.

Now, to business...

While helping a friend clear out her parents' effects, recently, I stumbled on a tatty old pre-war tome called "The Monster Book for Girls". It was adorned with pictures of jolly school lasses wielding hockey sticks and was full of “thrilling adventure stories for girls”. I loved the title so much I’ve stolen it for a new Exaggerated Press anthology.

First it is not a book for teenagers or children.

What I’m looking for are stories inspired by the title, whatever (within the realms of decency, the title does, I’m afraid lend itself to a bit of nudge-nudge, wink-wink- sordidness) springs to mind and kick-starts the creative engine.

It doesn’t even have to be of the sf/horror/fantastical genre. What is a monster anyway? Slipstream, thriller, romance, a mixture of genres would be interesting, whatever floats your (and my, of course) boat

Be warned; I don’t want (or like) teenage vampires, vampire angst or zombies or any other over-their-sell-by-date beasts. High-ish fantasy might be okay as long as it is original and features no grumpy dwarves or ethereal elves. Please don’t hurt children or gratuitously torture women (or men come to that).

Length: 3,500 words is general guide but a couple of thousand more will be looked at. Submission deadline: 27th February 2011.

Submit as an RTF attachment to mbfg@hotmail.co.uk

Sorry but acceptance won't make you rich but it might make you famous.
Regards
Terry Grimwood

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 05, 2010, 03:23:35 PM

Stand by, Terry -- someone will be along shortly to check your credentials . . . and welcome to the forum, btw.

You seem a little hurried . . . if you had looked over the site contents a little better, you'd have found that this post would have been more appropriately placed elsewhere, most likely in 'Administrivia.' Maybe it can be moved.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Commenter

Post October 05, 2010, 04:03:42 PM

Apologies. I was a man in a hurry when I joind and posted but I'll take a few deep breaths and calm down and copy my post oer to the appropiate area.

Pleased meet you as well.
Regards
Terry Grimwood

Return to July/August 2010