Hawking Radiation by Richard Tornello

Tell us what you thought of the July/August issue!

Editor Emeritus

Post August 04, 2010, 08:53:59 PM

Hawking Radiation by Richard Tornello

This is a complicated piece about existential issues. But I'm sorry to report in my fatigue numbed state, I don't know where Hawking Radiation fits in.

Master Critic

Post August 04, 2010, 09:47:52 PM

Hawking radiation

Hawking radiation is an explanation of how radiation (information)can be emitted from a black hole, despite its attractive power, due to quantum effects.

Master Critic

Post September 21, 2010, 12:56:54 PM

Hawking's Radiation

This is an interesting analogy of daily life as a hellish mix, much as a black hole could be seen performing like a cauldron, stirring, attracting more material - until, finally, some energy escapes like a cry from a wounded soul.
It's true that life looks pretty bad if compared with heaven (whatever heaven we choose to adopt as our own), but it looks pretty good compared with Hell (whatever Hell we choose to adopt as our own).
Just like a black hole, this poem is very deep. I'm still upset with Hawking, however, for that whole UFO 'whacko' reference - who does he think he is anyway?
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post September 21, 2010, 01:40:36 PM

hawking comment

1st, were you there for the comment? Or the comment that brought that on? It may have been tongue in cheek.

On the other hand:

2nd just think, if I were really from the Abel 520 Cluster, and told people as such offering some concrete proof (not to be allowed out of the showing room), and, some of you believed it, then how many others, (strangers and so called friends) wouldn't have a few concerns about your head being on too tightly or not enough, if you or any one else claimed that as fact without concrete proof? I mean really now.

There may be visitors from M Systems, or Star System, or Time Systems, but as of yet I haven't seen it. If they are here, have they interfered with our lives? If not who cares. If so where and when and the results.

Besides why would they blow their cover watching this comedy unfold.

The road you travel contains many umbrages.
There are better roads with fewer tolls.

Master Critic

Post September 21, 2010, 09:02:24 PM

hawking comment who he is

BOTTOM BOOZER, In case you didn't know he was the Lucasian Professor of mathmatics

and I quote copy from his BIO;
"Stephen came to the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics and since 1979, has held the post of Lucasian Professor of Mathematics. The chair was founded in 1663 with money left in the will of the Reverend Henry Lucas who had been the Member of Parliament for the University. It was first held by Isaac Barrow and then in 1669 by Isaac Newton.

Stephen Hawking has worked on the basic laws which govern the universe. With Roger Penrose he showed that Einstein's General Theory of Relativity implied space and time would have a beginning in the Big Bang and an end in black holes. These results indicated that it was necessary to unify General Relativity with Quantum Theory, the other great Scientific development of the first half of the 20th Century. One consequence of such a unification that he discovered was that black holes should not be completely black, but rather should emit radiation and eventually evaporate and disappear. Another conjecture is that the universe has no edge or boundary in imaginary time. This would imply that the way the universe began was completely determined by the laws of science.

His many publications include The Large Scale Structure of Spacetime with G F R Ellis, General Relativity: An Einstein Centenary Survey, with W Israel, and 300 Years of Gravity, with W Israel. Stephen Hawking has three popular books published; his best seller A Brief History of Time, Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays, and most recently in 2001, The Universe in a Nutshell. There are .pdf and .ps versions of his full publication list.

Professor Hawking has twelve honorary degrees. He was awarded the CBE in 1982, and was made a Companion of Honour in 1989. He is the recipient of many awards, medals and prizes, is a Fellow of The Royal Society and a Member of the US National Academy of Sciences.

I think that give him some street credibility. None of us come close!
so unbunch your boxers and move on to other more germane topics reflected our little pond.

BTW I am not picking on you, just your comments. I have no idea who you are never having come in contact with you other that through this medium.

You could be a touring machine for all I can tell.
RT

Master Critic

Post September 22, 2010, 11:14:51 AM

Stephen Hawking

Yeah, Richard, I knew all that about Stephen Hawking. Did I stutter?

Master Critic

Post September 22, 2010, 12:55:16 PM

Truely

Truely, I continue to enjoy the way that Richard takes Galactic themes and relates them to life here on Earth. He is, without doubt, a true wordsmith.

Master Critic

Post September 28, 2010, 10:01:04 AM

Stephen Hawking

In your face, Stephen Hawking! Dominated! Here's the link to a news story about the brave men who talked yesterday to the National Press Club about the experiences with UFOs they had at the nuclear bases where they served. They are demanding to be heard, now that they are retired and can no longer be fearful of losing their jobs. The truth will have its day.

http://www.latest-ufo-sightings.net/201 ... rence.html

- Dwynne Arneson, USAF Lt.Col. Ret., communications center officer-in-charge
- Bruce Fenstermacher, former USAF nuclear missile launch officer
- Charles Halt, USAF Col. Ret., former deputy base commander
- Robert Hastings, researcher and author
- Robert Jamison, former USAF nuclear missile targeting officer
- Patrick McDonough, former USAF nuclear missile site geodetic surveyor
- Jerome Nelson, former USAF nuclear missile launch officer
- Robert Salas, former USAF nuclear missile launch officer

Long Fiction Editor

Post September 28, 2010, 10:54:58 AM

In your face, Stephen Hawking!
LOL!

I've had my own issues with Dr. Hawking; I won't elaborate on that . . .

If this stuff is for real, we should be grateful we're being visited by the Good Guys -- since they seem to have demonstrated their ability to disarm our nukes -- BUT --

-- they can have my gun when they pry it from my -- oh, never mind, I'll just invite 'em in for coffee and ask 'em if they'd care to read my manuscript.

If they turn out to be Jehovah's Witlesses, THEN I'll shoot 'em!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post September 28, 2010, 05:27:27 PM

ufo

I wonder if they read our stuff?

RT

Long Fiction Editor

Post September 28, 2010, 07:57:45 PM

If they do, I wish they'd comment . . .

Master Critic

Post September 29, 2010, 08:13:40 AM

alien critics

Lester said: "I wish they'd comment" - Perhaps they already have! Maybe one of us will show up in Cincy riding a red pulsing ball of light. Hey, it could happen.
PS Lester, don't shoot them, they'll just be there for the conversation and Tequilla, I'm certain.

Master Critic

Post September 29, 2010, 09:48:47 AM

Re: alien critics

bottomdweller wrote:Lester said: "I wish they'd comment" - Perhaps they already have! PS Lester, don't shoot them, they'll just be there for the conversation and Tequilla, I'm certain.

Well Michele, it wasn't Daring Dan. That particular individual has been ferreted-out. PM conversations, not for public consumption.

If they're here, they're hiding from me.

Maybe they're smarter than we think they are. . .

And even interstellar Jehova's Witlesses. . .deserve the bullet. Maybe two?

Bill
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Long Fiction Editor

Post September 30, 2010, 12:16:42 AM

Critic

Post September 30, 2010, 08:26:06 AM

Re: Stephen Hawking

bottomdweller wrote:In your face, Stephen Hawking! Dominated! Here's the link to a news story about the brave men who talked yesterday to the National Press Club about the experiences with UFOs they had at the nuclear bases where they served.

Oh no - 'cranks' or 'weirdoes' in charge of nukes! Good thing those aliens disabled the missiles.

Master Critic

Post September 30, 2010, 08:33:06 AM

ufos and all that

Talk is cheap, evidence please.

V shaped air breathers are human design with low noise signatures.

And yes, anti-gravity propulsion systems are being developed.

Has anyone got an IR shot of these things? And why no real clear photo??

RT

Long Fiction Editor

Post September 30, 2010, 10:56:51 AM

And yes, anti-gravity propulsion systems are being developed.
Uh, Rick -- last I checked, anything even resembling that was limited to something like the pico scale -- and at that, I'm not sure it actually had to do with gravity . . . tell me more . . .

Master Critic

Post September 30, 2010, 02:27:46 PM

antigravity

If I had the citations I would have given them to a few of you, if I could.

It is being done on the MACRO SCALE. I just have to believe what I have read.

RT

Master Critic

Post September 30, 2010, 06:38:50 PM

Re: antigravity

rick tornello wrote:It is being done on the MACRO SCALE. I just have to believe what I have read.

RT

Sorry Rick, we'd have to know what gravity actually is before we'd be able to do anti-gravity on any scale. We don't.

There really may be no such thing as anti-gravity. These propulsion systems might be the subject of study, and certainly they're discussed. But they are not 'under development.'

Not on this planet, anyway. Maybe you read it in one of the science journals from your homeworld.

Sorry dude, but I wouldn't mind it if you were to cite something you'd read on the subject. I'd really like to see that.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Master Critic

Post September 30, 2010, 07:47:04 PM

oppologies I did really get it wrong

Near Light Speed Matter Antimatter Propulsion, not antigravity. I thought that's what he said.

Space Propulsion 2008, 5th International Spacecraft Propulsion Conference, 2nd International Symposium on Propulsion for Space Transportation, session 30 & 49 titled “Advanced Linear Electron Beam Phased Propulsion “Association Aeronautique Astronautique de France.

NFFPTC Conference, session titled “Advanced Linear Electron Beam Phased Propulsion “JPC #129339 American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) 2008

I got it wrong.

So Bill no matter (no pun) what I wrote to you before, this negates it.

Master Critic

Post October 02, 2010, 01:29:06 AM

Re: oppologies I did really get it wrong

rick tornello wrote:Near Light Speed Matter Antimatter Propulsion, not antigravity. I thought that's what he said.

“Advanced Linear Electron Beam Phased Propulsion “Association Aeronautique Astronautique de France.

So Bill no matter (no pun) what I wrote to you before, this negates it.

No kidding Rick. Reactionless drive is one thing. 'Developing' anti-gravity propulsion is another.

We are in the Dark Ages when it comes to gravity.

Not for lack of trying to figure it out. But ain't nobody 'developing' anything along those lines.

Deal with it.

Bill

p.s

Besides. The conference was in France. What do those commie boneheads know?

Master Critic

Post October 02, 2010, 08:25:34 AM

antigravity

I am over it, as my feet gently touch ground.

Now I'll simply stick with subatomic black hole propulsion systems and contemplate the nature of increases in cosmic entropy.

RT

Master Critic

Post October 04, 2010, 02:17:12 AM

Re: antigravity

rick tornello wrote:I am over it, as my feet gently touch ground.

Now I'll simply stick with subatomic black hole propulsion systems and contemplate the nature of increases in cosmic entropy.

RT

When you think about it.

An 'increase in entropy'. . .is an oxymoron.

Don't you think?

I mean, how can you increase a decrease?

Bil Wolfe

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 04, 2010, 02:09:53 PM

When you think about it.

An 'increase in entropy'. . .is an oxymoron.

Don't you think?

I mean, how can you increase a decrease?
Well, entropy does increase . . . and, supposedly, will continue to do so until the "heat death of the universe." If I recall, that will be when all the energy in the universe is uniformly distributed, so that nothing is any hotter than anything else. End of fun.

I found this . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy

Oh, and as to anti-gravity . . .
Besides. The conference was in France. What do those commie boneheads know?
That explains it; probably a researcher's lunch. Some of their cheeses are so repellent that Earth itself tries to escape from them. Still, it's got nothing to do with gravity.

Master Critic

Post October 04, 2010, 03:56:04 PM

Entropy

For "fun" you might want to read ( asXiv.org/abs/1002.4278) 18 March 2010 Entropic Accelerating Universe and (arXiv.org/abs/1001.5445v2) Gravity from Quantum Information.

Return to July/August 2010