In Hog Heaven by Jim Mountfield

Tell us what you thought about the August 2018 Issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post August 11, 2018, 04:25:41 PM

In Hog Heaven by Jim Mountfield

A worthy effort and a good read. The setting might be home for Jim Mountfield, but it is a strange exotic land to me and that pulled me into the story.
Cary Semar

Editor Emeritus

Post August 12, 2018, 09:08:47 PM

Re: In Hog Heaven by Jim Mountfield

This was spooky ghost story, and I love spooky ghost stories. I thought maybe the back story for our narrator could have come sooner; it would have pulled me in a little better and would have grounded me in the story more. A detail or two about what brought the narrator to this village would have been nice too. It would have grounded the story a little more, but the actual ghost story part and the descriptions of the jumpiness of our narrator were great.

Master Critic

Post August 14, 2018, 08:40:04 AM

The exotic land pulled me into the story and held my interest most of the time. A spooky ghost story with nice description and moving characters that at times came alive to me.

Nice job!
Tesla Lives!!!

Commenter

Post August 28, 2018, 11:31:30 AM

The descriptions are very evocative, and the specificity of detail further marries the Northern Irish setting with Sadie's tragic story. Nice job, Mr.Mountfield :D

Commenter

Post August 30, 2018, 02:35:57 PM

Hello and thank you for the comments about my story. I'm pleased that people liked its sense of place, because I tried very hard to model the setting of 'In Hog Heaven' on the rural area of Northern Ireland where I spent my childhood. And, yes, the characters of Sadie and Roy were inspired by a real-life couple -- now long since deceased -- who'd lived in that neighbourhood. She was a self-sacrificing saint and he was a complete ogre... Actually, a while ago, I went to visit my father in hospital. He now suffers from dementia and when he saw my face, he mistook me for the real-life Roy and greeted me using his name. This was incredibly unflattering but, once I'd recovered from the surprise, I had a creepy feeling that the old bastard's ghost was lurking behind me -- and this was who my father had really reacted to. And I guess that's where the idea for this story came from.

Return to August 2018