The Rusalka's Embrace

Tell us what you thought about the July 2018 Issue!

Moderator: Editors

Commenter

Post July 03, 2018, 12:02:30 AM

The Rusalka's Embrace

As a lover of Russian/Slavic folklore, I was drawn to this story at once. I'm a fan of urban fantasy--though I can't write a lick of it--and I thought this story was handled beautifully. It's a nice mix of the mundane and the magical, and I love how the colloquial speech/thoughts of the main character contrasts with the sing-song of the Rusalka herself. I also love the theme of being 'rescued' from the dead-end problems of the real world by our deepest fantasies--even when those fantasies come with a price. This story reminds me a lot of Leigh Bardugo's story, Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail? It's on a very similar theme, albeit with more romance, but the same general theme. This story is more concise, though they complement each other well. I also thought it evokes a sense of place well, and part of the magic of the story is as much where it takes place as what she encounters. At times, this story had the feel of a prose poem, which I found very admirable since the author didn't resort to pretentious, quasi-poetic language to do so. It simply moves and sings. Very satisfying story!

Commenter

Post July 09, 2018, 09:25:23 AM

Re: The Rusalka's Embrace

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed the story and feedback like this is important as I try to improve my writing.

Return to July 2018