The More Things Stay the Same by Roderick D. Turner

Tell us what you think of the October 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Critic

Post November 07, 2013, 10:36:52 AM

The More Things Stay the Same by Roderick D. Turner

Link to 'The More Things Stay The Same'

*** SPOILERS ***

This an interesting take on the Alien Invasion, the second type i.e. Invasion by infiltration. By the end of the tale it is clear that some aliens have taken the place of certain humans although how they have done this is left up to the reader's imagination.

I couldn't work out if the Aliens had somehow changed reality, accounting for how things seemed slightly off or wrong to those unaffected like the protagonist, or if they were using some form of mass hypnosis.

Ultimately, this is what jarred for me. On one hand, the next door neighbour Andrea is obviously familiar to the protagonist but behaving very uncharacteristically. That the hero of the story almost falls for her charms took me down the 'mass hypnosis' path.

But the reports of 'Hoaxer' syndrome, the appearing and disappearing UFO, and the way Reg found everything so unfamiliar and strange seemed to hint more towards 'changed reality' - presumably by those dang Aliens.

The ending, which was nicely delivered, could fit either scenario, so I suppose it doesn't really matter. A foolish consistency of the hobgoblin of tiny minds, so the saying goes, so it's probably just me being difficult and no real fault with the story.

A+++, would read again.
Doggerel is a derogatory term for verse considered of little literary value.

Critic

Post November 08, 2013, 05:15:49 PM

Re: The More Things Stay the Same by Roderick D. Turner

Verse wrote:This an interesting take on the Alien Invasion, the second type i.e. Invasion by infiltration. By the end of the tale it is clear that some aliens have taken the place of certain humans although how they have done this is left up to the reader's imagination.

I wouldn't call it clear as for me that thought never came to mind. Tell me more!

Verse wrote:I couldn't work out if the Aliens had somehow changed reality, accounting for how things seemed slightly off or wrong to those unaffected like the protagonist, or if they were using some form of mass hypnosis.

Ultimately, this is what jarred for me. On one hand, the next door neighbour Andrea is obviously familiar to the protagonist but behaving very uncharacteristically. That the hero of the story almost falls for her charms took me down the 'mass hypnosis' path.

But the reports of 'Hoaxer' syndrome, the appearing and disappearing UFO, and the way Reg found everything so unfamiliar and strange seemed to hint more towards 'changed reality' - presumably by those dang Aliens.

I had pondered tha tought of 'changed reality', but finally dismissed it. It seemed to me that that neigbour mentioned took the protagonist's attention for granted. So she and the protagonist seen to me to have conflicting memories regarding their past relationship. Thus there can be no common reality a changed reality could have been changed from that would satisfy both their memories.
Therefore I go for 'changed memories'.

Long Fiction Editor

Post November 17, 2013, 10:20:09 PM

Damn aliens, anyway . . . made the poor guy trip over a rock in his own yard.

About three-quarters into it, I was kind of expecting someone to begin uttering alien words now and again at random. Just the kind of thing that would be a big tip-off, though, so it's just as well it didn't happen.

I like how the news reporters all just brushed it off.

Great little story!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post November 20, 2013, 11:40:22 PM

After reading the story once through I subscribe to the alternate reality explanation. I think the narrator has somehow been shunted into a slightly different reality. It's not just memories that seem different, but physical surroundings like the stairs and the number of houses on the street. It's suggested that the change was triggered by the arrival of the alien ship. Maybe it was a side effect of the ship's engine, some sort of reality altering drive.

It was an entertaining story though and the narrator was an interesting character.

John

Return to October 2013