The Saga of 'Turim: Servant, Soldier By Jay T. Buc

Tell us what you thought about the June 2008 issue!

Moderator: Editors

CCC

Senior Critic

Post June 12, 2008, 08:45:01 AM

The Saga of 'Turim: Servant, Soldier By Jay T. Buc

The Varnin certainly have an interesting way of dealing with people. I can see it working well, though, handled properly. (It also helps that all of them appear to be scrupulously fair and generally kind, but perhaps 'Turim was just lucky in that respect)

One thing didn't quite fit in this story, though. We start with Turim dying, and then the focus goes back over his life; that's great, a lot of good stories do that. The problem was, it stopped without explaining how he'd come to be on the battlefield that he starts the story on. That meant that that first paragraph ended up entirely disassociated from the story as a whole.

All in all, though, apart from that one minor quibble, it was a most excellent story.

Editor Emeritus

Post June 12, 2008, 11:05:27 AM

Re: The Saga of 'Turim: Servant, Soldier By Jay T.

The title was originally "The Saga of Turim: Part 1" -- the author has a pretty good idea of how 'Turim gets from hostage to grizzled battlefield veteran, and (if we encourage him) will likely give us more in the months to come. (Think of the "Know, O Prince, ..." opening of the "Conan" movie, showing Old Conan on the throne of Aquilonia.)

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

CCC

Senior Critic

Post June 13, 2008, 05:21:04 AM

The title was originally "The Saga of Turim: Part 1" -- the author has a pretty good idea of how 'Turim gets from hostage to grizzled battlefield veteran, and (if we encourage him) will likely give us more in the months to come.

That entirely gets rid of the one minor quibble I had with the story. I'll replace it with a request to the author; I'd like to see Part 2 as soon as reasonably possible, and I'd preferably like to see it at the same level of quality as Part 1.

Commenter

Post June 23, 2008, 12:00:18 PM

The tales reads more like an action outline than a story really - there's a lot of exposition and a number of scenes aren't developed to their true potential. Having said that, it was a GREAT action outline, and I'd love to see this become a novel. The characters are interesting, the conflicts intriguing and the themes resonate. So when will I see "The Saga of 'Turim" at my local bookstore?
Rob Bignell
Check out my SF Web site, Inventing Reality (http://inventingreality.4t.com/)

Return to June 2008