For the Love of Chicken by D.D.H. Lee

Tell us what you think about the August Issue

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post August 11, 2004, 10:06:30 PM

For the Love of Chicken by D.D.H. Lee

Ho-Ho! This is a good one, no doubt about it.

This is a delightfully farcical situation about clueless people from the future trying to get a real chicken sandwich, instead of the processed ones given to them by robotic kitchens.

These are endearing characters, especially Marty, who just wants a good sandwich. Togther with his friends, they are faced with an incredible challenge for their feeble abilities. They face their ever-building sub-problems as best they can, moving forward in their plot, and eventually reach a moment of truth. Truth goes sideways from there, but it's fun to read!

Excellent, and well done!

Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on May 01, 2009, 08:56:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Senior Editor

Post August 11, 2004, 11:14:48 PM

Re: For the Love of Chicken by D.D.H. Lee

I've been waiting to comment on this one since June. I read it during the pre-production for the August issue. I laughed so much my girlfriend came back to my office to see what I was up to.<br>I got so engrossed in the characters and their dilemma that I never bothered looking at the set dressing or the background. I got swept along in the story and simply enjoyed the read.<br>This one was fun. Especially the tweak at the end.<br>Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Master Critic

Post August 12, 2004, 12:46:43 PM

Extremely funny!<br><br>On a somewhat related trivia item, chickens also roam wild in Hawaii. No one eats them, although it's more due to lack of desire than animal kinship. :-)<br>
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Editor Emeritus

Post August 18, 2004, 11:55:00 PM

At last, a story that shows the kind of world depicted in the Pohl/Kornbluth classic, The Marching Morons -- from the morons' perspective. Just kidding, folks -- the characters in this story aren't stupid, per se, just astonishingly ignorant. But then, Alan Funt (of Candid Camera, the great-grandsire of Punk'd and The Jamie Kennedy Experiment) once shot a film showing the spaghetti harvest in Italy, with happy peasants picking spaghetti from trees -- and a good many people thought it was real.<br><br>Although the story provides a satirical look at the 'expandio ad absurdum' (fake Latin alert: 'expandio' is almost certainly not a real word) result of animal rights movements taken to the (il)logical ultimate, it also gives us a sly commentary on the disconnect between what we eat and where it comes from. How many kids associate a dimwitted feathered creature with those McNuggets (TM, etc.) they're gobbling down? For that matter, how many adults picture a live tuna when they eat a tuna melt?<br><br>Funny stuff, indeed, occasionally suffering from some (to me) very odd turns of phrase and / or grammatical slips.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Critic

Post August 24, 2004, 09:23:41 PM

The opening scene reminded me of an eating place on Asimov's 'Trantor', everything processed/synthesised and automated.<br><br>A good satire of a real issue society faces which Robert touched on. We are in danger of losing all connection to nature and losing basic skills and knowledge. A friend of a friend once asked what flour was, ie where did it come from/what was it made of. Another friend of a friend (an Aussie) thought monkeys were native to Australia (the only placental mammals native to Australia are bats and rats, everything else is a marsupial). (incidentally, in a similar thread but of absolutely no relevance, another friend once asked at a football game how many quarters there would be in the game...)<br><br>I would agree there was some odd phrasing used in this story and occasionally what the narration emphasised seemed incidental. I'm not sure why bold was used in place of italics.<br><br>Marty appears to have a very interesting profession ;) ...
[img width=40 height=40]http://www.ozscififorum.com/100_010.jpeg[/img] Greg Guerin
[hr]
[url=http://www.ozscififorum.com:2tvavb2m]Australian Science Fiction Forum[/url:2tvavb2m]

Return to August 2004