Beyond Dreaming By Terry Larson

Tell us what you thought about the September issue!

Moderator: Editors

CCC

Senior Critic

Post September 14, 2008, 06:40:40 AM

Beyond Dreaming By Terry Larson

Hmmm. So... what was Kelvin, then? An amnesiac ghost, or a man driven mad by grief and loss who eventually started to believe that he had pulled the trigger, that he had been the one to kill his wife and his best friend because he couldn't face the possibility that his best friend had committed suicide or that he couldn't find any other explanation?

A very strange story; like many stories with insane or not-quite-sane narrators, there's no real way to be completely sure of what actually happened...

Editor Emeritus

Post September 14, 2008, 04:22:55 PM

Beyond Dreaming

The 'ghost that doesn't realize he is a ghost' is not a new thing -- it was old (although well-camouflaged) when "The Sixth Sense" hit the screens. In this case, however, the ghost seems to construct elaborate scenes where he interacts with the detective investigating the case (which can't be real if he committed the murder then shot himself) to protect himself from the truth...

This suggests that guilt, shame, and wishful thinking may form a big part of the afterlife, at least in extreme circumstances! (See also "What Dreams May Come" (novel by Richard Matheson, moving starring Robin Williams(!)) for an illustration of the theory that we may construct our own heaven or hell...)

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Commenter

Post September 26, 2008, 04:36:36 PM

I don't like "dream" stories in general, but I didn't like this for some additional reasons. The writing seemed a bit stilted to me in places. The first entire section is basically an info-dump. I am not a big fan of stories with a lot of confusion, which this seemed to have.

Some people do like this type of story, so take this with a grain of salt.

FBG

Return to September 2008