Louwe, Louwe By Dan L. Hollifield

Tell us what you think about the August Issue

Moderator: Editors

Critic

Post August 14, 2004, 08:05:43 AM

Louwe, Louwe By Dan L. Hollifield

Clever, very clever. It's been a while since I've read Ringworld, but do need to again. A nice play on words in your filk of Louie Louie. Too bad I didn't have the midi to go along with it (I'm at work), but I could hear the tune in my head as I was reading this. Good show.<br><br>

Senior Editor

Post August 14, 2004, 08:52:31 PM

Re: Louwe, Louwe By Dan L. Hollifield

Thank you!<br>This little ditty came about because of a discussion on the Larry Niven mailing list. We've been talking about Ringworld for months, because Larry's 4th Ringworld novel came out in June, and was long overdue from the publisher. One arguement came out over how to pronounce "Louis Wu." Was it the American, or French, or just which way do you say it? Like backward-masked vocals, it seemed that people saw clues in the novels to point to whichever way they liked. Larry himself stepped in and said that he's always heard it in his head as "Louwe Wu."<br>One of the next posts to the list suggested that someone should do a Ringworld filk on "Louie, Louie."<br>Ten minutes later I posted the first verse and chorus.<br>Ten minutes after that, I posted the first three verses and choruses. The fourth verse took me two days. Mainly because I still haven't gotten a chance to read the fourth book yet. I worked from the spoilers for the new book that were posted on the list. Then one person on the list pointed out that I'd made a mistake in the last verse, so I fixed that, and Googled the MIDI file to download.<br>By that time, I'd reached Aphelion's deadline for the August issue. I asked Iain if he thought it worth including. He seemed to think that it would pass muster.<br>I'm glad you like it.<br>Oh, the MIDI is a pretty up-beat version of the song. I hope your home compuer has good speakers. <br>Dan<br>
Last edited by Vila on August 14, 2004, 08:54:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Editor Emeritus

Post August 17, 2004, 02:16:39 PM

Clever, very clever. It's been a while since I've read Ringworld, but do need to again. A nice play on words in your filk of Louie Louie. Too bad I didn't have the midi to go along with it (I'm at work), but I could hear the tune in my head as I was reading this. Good show.
<br>I'm in somewhat the same boat -- read the original Ringworld novel probably decades ago, read (I think) The Ringworld Engineers, but haven't read Ringworld Throne or whatever the new one is. The Niven collection Scatterbrain includes a Ringworld story -- I'm not sure where in the chronology it falls.<br><br>Haven't played the MIDI file yet (at work) -- I have a strong suspicion that I'm 'hearing' the wrong tune in my head ... we shall see.<br><br>Rock on, Dan'l.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Critic

Post September 23, 2004, 12:14:05 PM

I just finished reading Ringworld again, and re-read the filk. I think that there should be a disclaimer at the beginning of the filk to read the Ringworld novels first. It had been a while since I read the Ringworld story when I first read the filk, and some of the things mentioned rang some bells, but after reading Ringworld again and re-reading the filk, it makes much more sense. I am guessing that the other lines are from Ringworld Engineers (Which I am just starting to read) and possibly Ringworld Throne. Which books and/or stories did you use for the filk Dan?<br><br>Kevin

Senior Editor

Post September 23, 2004, 05:02:13 PM

All four of them, Kevin. Although I had to go by the spoilers posted in the Larry Niven mailing list for the verse for "Ringworld's Children". There is a copy coming to me in the mail, but I have been reading the Ringworld books since 1976 so the other three verses were much easier to write. Niven is one of my "automatic-buy" writers. Every Niven book I see, I buy. So far, I've seen 34 of them.<br>Each verse is about a different book, and they are in the correct order.<br><br>Ringworld<br>Ringworld Engineers<br>Ringworld Throne<br>Ringworld's Children<br><br>Distilling an entire novel into 8 short lines of text is really an artform. I would suggest that the best ones would be from your favorite stories. <br>Dan<br>
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Return to August 2004