Alter Id by McCamy Taylor

Tell us what you thought of the December 2007 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Critic

Post December 20, 2007, 11:39:20 AM

Alter Id by McCamy Taylor

An enjoyable yarn, full of plenty of classis SFnal ingredients: cyborgs, lunar mining, criminal deportation, and lots of gadgets. I enjoyed it, right up until the final sentence that doesn't read quite right. I had to re-read it twice to make it out, which was a shame as it lessened the impact of the conclusion.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 06, 2008, 12:36:59 PM

Re: Alter Id by McCamy Taylor

Interesting and complicated story. I agree with Gareth about all those SF ingredients.

Neat idea.

All of it worked for me except the conclusion. It was too pat. The Doctor just happens to know all the right union leaders to stop the evil corporation's plot dead in its tracks. The cyborg assassin goes along with changing back into his weak, servant self (with a little protesting, I realize), when he could have had his own, stronger agenda. I mean, he really doesn't have to change back, does he? Who's going to make him if he doesn't want to? The girlfriend is forgiven outright for a complete betrayal that brought murderers into their home. Then, the Doc announces his plans to use the cyborg to help all those like him.

Somewhat benevolent for a mad scientist with a recognized god complex, I thought.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 08, 2008, 12:17:50 PM

Re: Alter Id by McCamy Taylor

Thanks for the feedback. As you very perceptively note, the ending is way too pat. That is probably because as I was finishing it I was thinking about a sequel, and this was meant to be a pause.

What characters with God complexes say is not necessarily what authors intend to let them do. Re-integrating multiple personalities is beyond the type of medical science that the doctor specializes in---and probably is not in the best medical interest of Adam. It certainly is not in the interest of the author.

I will probably tinker with the ending to make it more ambiguous, the way I intended it to be.

Return to December 2007