The House

Tell us what you thought of the December 2007 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Junior Critic

Post December 11, 2007, 05:08:29 PM

The House

A well-written, creepy piece of work. Neil really captures the heartbreaking terror of childhood. The story was also well-paced. My only gripe is that the last scene feels (to me) tacked-on. IMHO The story ends very satisfactorily without it. That aside, I enjoyed reading this one, waiting to see how the little boy would overcome his fears.

Commenter

Post December 12, 2007, 08:19:12 AM

Re: The House

Thanks for the feedback Gareth. I'm glad you liked it. :)

I know what you mean about the end. At the time of writing I was experimenting with more open endings but, having reread it more recently, I had a similar reaction.

There's a natural break that the last scene motors over giving the impression there's more story to run. It's not terribly likely that Stevie would leave it there, that's part of the reason I wrote "Because" a few weeks back for FFF.

I have a feeling I'm not done with Stevie yet.

Editor Emeritus

Post December 12, 2007, 10:19:31 AM

Re: The House

... "The Attic", in which Stevie recharges his sword and embarks on a terrible journey to rescue his mother. It's only a few meters from Stevie's bed to his destination (albeit mostly vertical distance), but it will take all his hard-won courage to cross that distance and face what awaits him ...

Coming soon to an Aphelion near you?

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to December 2007