Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM
It's the little things we fear that holds us back. The great fears we never face, because we are inundated with our day to day small internal fears that separate us from living life happy and successful. We allow distractions to entertain our daily thoughts and keep us away from tackling the invisible fear barriers that hold us in place as our time runs out.
Everyone is afraid of something.
- The fear of failure
- The fear of success
- The fear of heights or falling
- The fear of insects, snakes or other animals
- The fear of rejection or abandonment
- The fear of death
- The fear of shame or humiliation
- The fear of thunder and lightning
- The fear of small spaces
- The fear of germs
- The fear of public speaking
- The fear of being alone
- The fear of crowds
- The fear of intimacy
- The fear of commitment
- The fear of the future or the unknown
- The fear of change
- The fear of darkness
- The fear of crime
- The fear of ghosts
- The fear of pain
- The fear that terrible things will happen
Finding your courage is a life-changing decision. Fear will always be around to tell you what you cannot do—it’s up to us to face our fears and tell ourselves what we can do.
(1) The challenge is put before you to write a story about a character living with a specific type of fear, where they either overcome it or be destroyed by it.
(2) The story must have a word count of 1,000 words or less, counting every word being submitted, including title, author's name and the words "The End" at the end.
(3) The story must have a title with the author’s name below it.
(4) Keep it clean.
(5) All text must be the same size and font. You can use italics in your story. However, no colors, no bold formatting, no changed fonts or sizes, no artwork or no embedded or external links can be used.
(6) One entry per author.
(7) Everything in your story must be original fiction. Every name, setting/place, business, product, organization etc. must come from your mind and not previously exist prior to this challenge. The fun part of writing is the world building so go and build an exciting one.
Aphelion Webzine utilizes three main genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror. It will be your choice which of the main genres you select for your story.
However if you like, you are given the resource of blending any of the following secondary genres into one of the main three.
They are: Comedy/Satire, Romance, Western, Drama, Crime/Detective, Suspense/Thriller, Mystery, Supernatural and Adventure.
Just as long as the story incorporates one of the main three genres.
How To Enter:
Stories must be sent to Daniel Johnson by Private Message, and not posted into the forum. Click on my name and then click on the private message button and paste your story into the text box. Then click submit.
When entering your story, leave an extra line between paragraphs.
The rules and method of voting will be announced when the stories are posted for voting.
After this month’s challenge, all entries will be reposted in the Flash Archive with the author's names.
Note: Only Registered Members who have posted at least one message may submit a story. Without that one post, the system will not let you send a PM.
Stories must be in by Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 5 p.m. (Central Standard Time). The stories will then be posted for voting that evening. Voting will close on Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 5 p.m (Central Standard Time) after which the winners will be announced.
By entering this challenge you are technically granting Aphelion Webzine perpetual electronic rights to post and archive your challenge entries on our site. Otherwise, Aphelion has no claim on any author’s works.