Flash Challenge: April 2017

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Guest Host

Post April 02, 2017, 07:48:24 PM

Flash Challenge: April 2017

The Only Thing We Have To Fear Challenge

It's the little things we fear that holds us back. The great fears we never face, because we are inundated with our day to day small internal fears that separate us from living life happy and successful. We allow distractions to entertain our daily thoughts and keep us away from tackling the invisible fear barriers that hold us in place as our time runs out.

Everyone is afraid of something.

• The fear of failure
  • The fear of success
  • The fear of heights or falling
  • The fear of insects, snakes or other animals
  • The fear of rejection or abandonment
  • The fear of death
  • The fear of shame or humiliation
  • The fear of thunder and lightning
  • The fear of small spaces
  • The fear of germs
  • The fear of public speaking
  • The fear of being alone
  • The fear of crowds
  • The fear of intimacy
  • The fear of commitment
  • The fear of the future or the unknown
  • The fear of change
  • The fear of darkness
  • The fear of crime
  • The fear of ghosts
  • The fear of pain
  • The fear that terrible things will happen

Finding your courage is a life-changing decision. Fear will always be around to tell you what you cannot do—it’s up to us to face our fears and tell ourselves what we can do.

Requirements:

(1) The challenge is put before you to write a story about a character living with a specific type of fear, where they either overcome it or be destroyed by it.

(2) The story must have a word count of 1,000 words or less, counting every word being submitted, including title, author's name and the words "The End" at the end.

(3) The story must have a title with the author’s name below it.

(4) Keep it clean.

(5) All text must be the same size and font. You can use italics in your story. However, no colors, no bold formatting, no changed fonts or sizes, no artwork or no embedded or external links can be used.

(6) One entry per author.

(7) Everything in your story must be original fiction. Every name, setting/place, business, product, organization etc. must come from your mind and not previously exist prior to this challenge. The fun part of writing is the world building so go and build an exciting one.

Genre Selection:

Aphelion Webzine utilizes three main genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror. It will be your choice which of the main genres you select for your story.

However if you like, you are given the resource of blending any of the following secondary genres into one of the main three.

They are: Comedy/Satire, Romance, Western, Drama, Crime/Detective, Suspense/Thriller, Mystery, Supernatural and Adventure.

Just as long as the story incorporates one of the main three genres.

How To Enter:

Stories must be sent to Daniel Johnson by Private Message, and not posted into the forum. Click on my name and then click on the private message button and paste your story into the text box. Then click submit.

When entering your story, leave an extra line between paragraphs.

The rules and method of voting will be announced when the stories are posted for voting.

After this month’s challenge, all entries will be reposted in the Flash Archive with the author's names.

Note: Only Registered Members who have posted at least one message may submit a story. Without that one post, the system will not let you send a PM.

Deadline:

Stories must be in by Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 5 p.m. (Central Standard Time). The stories will then be posted for voting that evening. Voting will close on Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 5 p.m (Central Standard Time) after which the winners will be announced.

Legal Announcement:

By entering this challenge you are technically granting Aphelion Webzine perpetual electronic rights to post and archive your challenge entries on our site. Otherwise, Aphelion has no claim on any author’s works.

Editor at Large

Post April 03, 2017, 09:28:06 AM

Re: Flash Challenge: April 2017

I have no idea where I might go with this but...

Muhahahahaha!
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Editor at Large

Post April 03, 2017, 07:07:02 PM

Ok I'm in.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Editor at Large

Post April 03, 2017, 09:12:27 PM

Daniel has got my motor running for flash like it hasn't been for a while so I did another real quick just because. You can find it in the forum. I sacrificed a novel writing block of an hour to whip it up but totally not sorry. It isn't half bad. Read it if you like. Also everyone do this one like last month. This is becoming lots of fun again.

Master Critic

Post April 05, 2017, 07:02:13 AM

Mine is ready, just waiting for the usual useful suggestions and reviews before sending it in...

Master Critic

Post April 06, 2017, 03:00:26 AM

My entry has been sent today...

Guest Host

Post April 06, 2017, 05:41:57 PM

Hello everyone.

We have received 4 stories...and counting.

Commenter

Post April 10, 2017, 08:19:33 PM

Sent my entry in, Daniel.
"It is a cardinal sin to bore the reader."
- Larry Niven

Commenter

Post April 11, 2017, 12:10:28 PM

I am so in. I'm on my second draft. This is a surreal experience.

Thank you Lester for the writing study links. They are helping. Thank you Eddie for the excellent rewrite. I'm learning from it. Thank you Daniel, Nate and Casey for the advice. Thank you Hope for the encouragement and being supportive.

I've never had so many who cared.

Frank

Editor Emeritus

Post April 16, 2017, 08:52:34 PM

My first draft is done, so I'll be in on this.

Now, to let it percolate and sit for at least a day. Then, to edit and mature it into (hopefully) an even better story.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Guest Host

Post April 17, 2017, 03:16:47 PM

kailhofer wrote:My first draft is done, so I'll be in on this.

Now, to let it percolate and sit for at least a day. Then, to edit and mature it into (hopefully) an even better story.

Nate is a craftsman and the most consistently great writer I've ever read. This is certainly a learning place for writers from pros to those who are just getting started.

As of now, we have 8 stories in...and counting!

Editor Emeritus

Post April 17, 2017, 10:44:06 PM

Daniel Johnson wrote:Nate is a craftsman and the most consistently great writer I've ever read. This is certainly a learning place for writers from pros to those who are just getting started.

As of now, we have 8 stories in...and counting!

Well, I really don't consider myself great, but I think it's safe to say that I'm not completely terrible at this. :)

At any rate, thanks, and I hope you get as many as last time, or perhaps even more.
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post April 23, 2017, 09:28:42 AM

Anybody else excited to see what came in?

Return to Fun and Games