Flash Challenge: March 2017

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Guest Host

Post March 05, 2017, 10:52:52 PM

Flash Challenge: March 2017

The Never Apologize For Saying You're Sorry Challenge

We all make mistakes, some worse than others. But what about the monumental blunders that we spend a lifetime trying to fix. Marrying the wrong spouse and not divorcing until after children are born. Driving while drunk and having an accident that claims a life. Leaving the stove on when going to work that starts a fire, burning down the apartment building. Having a moment of indiscretion, which breeds a lifetime of regret.

Mistakes are a part of life.

Some may allow their mistakes to devastate and overwhelm them, while others may become victorious over them with good coming from it.

It is how we deal with mistakes that strengthen our character and that is what we will focus on in our writing challenge this month.

You can draw inspiration from your own experiences or experiences from people you know or from stories about people you've heard on the news or in a fit of creativity, create something entirely from your imagination. But everything in your story must be original fiction.

I challenge you...to write a story where your main character makes a big mistake and show how that character deals with the aftermath.

You may choose whether the genre of your story is science fiction, fantasy or horror.

Reach beyond the limitations you've set for yourself in the past and completely let go. Let’s see what you can do!

Requirements:

(1) Your story must be about a character who makes a big mistake and how they deal with it's aftermath.

(2) 1,000 words or less, counting everything.

(3) One entry per author.

(4) The story must have a title with the author’s name below it.

(5) Keep it clean.

(6) Everything in your story must be original fiction. Every name, setting/place, business, product, organization etc. must come from your mind and not previously exist prior to this challenge. The fun part of writing is the world building so go and build an exciting one.

How To Enter: Stories must be sent to Daniel Johnson by Private Message, and not posted into the forum. Click on my name and then click on the private message button and paste your story into the text box. Then click submit.

When entering your story, leave an extra line between paragraphs. All text must be the same size and font. You can use italics in your story. However, no colors, no bold formatting, no changed fonts or sizes, no artwork or any other embedded or external links can be used.

Stories will be posted without the author's name and will be listed in random order.

After this month’s challenge, all entries will be reposted in the Flash Archive with the author's names.

Note: Only Registered Members who have posted at least one message may submit a story. Without that one post, the system will not let you send a PM.

Deadline: Stories must be in by Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 5 p.m. Central Standard Time (GMT-6). The stories will then be posted for voting that evening. Voting will close on Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 5 p.m (GMT-6).

Voting: The voting method will be announced when the stories are listed for voting.

Legal Announcement: By entering this challenge you are technically granting Aphelion: The Webzine of Science Fiction and Fantasy perpetual electronic rights to post and archive your challenge entries on our site. Otherwise, Aphelion has no claim on any author’s works.
Last edited by Daniel Johnson on March 05, 2017, 11:12:06 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Guest Host

Post March 05, 2017, 11:05:13 PM

Re: Flash Challenge: March 2017

I am the host for this months flash challenge. I have admired the flash art form since I have been with this site. I am impressed with the writers and their self motivation and in awe of the quality of Nate Kailhofer's challenges and the impact he has had on the lives of so many writers. That is some legacy. It is my desire to continue it.

I love you guys and I'm grateful to be here.

Let's have some fun!

Flash Fiction Editor

Post March 05, 2017, 11:09:30 PM

I just wanted to say for the record I fully endorsed Daniel's running of this month's challenge. He's trying it on for size, so please give this challenge a go.

I think it's a good idea that could yield some great stories.

Master Critic

Post March 06, 2017, 03:17:43 AM

This is easy and interesting, indeed...my entry will be ready soon... :D

Editor at Large

Post March 06, 2017, 02:50:54 PM

Isn't trying it on for size basic Aphelion indoctrination technique? Careful Daniel that is how new Editors are made. :mrgreen:
They suck you in!
j/k It is one of the most fun things you can do with a chunk of your life. Some do a year like me, some hunker down for a decade. It is cool that you are helping out. Maybe I can clear a bit of time and give it a go to support your premiere outing.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Master Critic

Post March 07, 2017, 03:18:10 AM

My entry was sent today...

Master Critic

Post March 07, 2017, 12:27:05 PM

Daniel, this one sounds very human in which all of us can relate to. Mistake happen! We set up guards and procedures to protect us from making them, but the mistake has its own life, its own set of values, and its own will, it seems.

This challenge should remind us that we are human and subjected to the laws of nature.
Tesla Lives!!!

Long Fiction Editor

Post March 07, 2017, 05:10:10 PM

Daniel, Ed set a new mark for "trying it on for size" when he stepped into the slot. When the previous Flash editor stepped aside, Ed just copy-pasted the format with a few changes and ran it--without asking or being invited. In a way, it wasn't surprising, because, by then, everybody knew how much he loved it, and he was nice about it; I think he offered an apology upfront if he was doing anything wrong.

The editorial staff was in shock, though. Nobody saw this coming or knew what to do about it, and Ed hadn't been with the 'zine for very long. But I'll always remember a part of the discussion in our private chatbox:

"What did I just see?"

"I think it's called an audition."

After that, it didn't take long for us to agree to make it official, and nobody regretted it.

So, here's hoping the role fits you well, good luck, and thanks!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Guest Host

Post March 08, 2017, 04:24:12 PM

I am touched by the support. The challenge has become a part of my life and I look forward to it each month.

I'm a reader. If reading can be considered an art form, then it is my art. Growing up my parents were poor and there wasn't much to do for entertainment. Round the age of eight, my mother took me to a mobile library. I never saw so many books. I wanted to take them all home. The first time I was there, I was limited to four. I remember them well. They were the Doctor Dolittle books and I was amazed at the adventures. I read each of them several times during the first week and I paced the floor for the next three weeks waiting for the mobile library to come back with more worlds to explore.

And that is really what fascinates me about writing - building worlds and savoring them.

I thank you for giving me a place where worlds are created each month. I want it to go on and on.

Guest Host

Post March 08, 2017, 04:52:06 PM

I find that writers not only have their own style, but a thing they do that is sort of a driving force behind their motivation as they write. It is something that is unique to them that brings them joy and accelerates their writing.

For Eddie, it's boldness. I see him going places within his stories that others might not have the courage to create. I like to be surprised and he always does that.

For Nate, it is a story with heart. Most every story I've read by him - dozens - he taps into the heart of where he wants the story to go and of his characters.

For Sergio, it's telling a story from a single perspective. He won me over to this art form that he is reviving by the many times he is published each year while still being faithful to the flash challenge here.

For Lester, it is insightful and memorable characters that lives on in the minds of the readers as if they were living beings.

For Megawatts, it is multi-level plots that can be enjoyed by all ages. I would have enjoyed reading his stories when I was eight and I enjoy reading them now.

For Robin, it is freedom to write whatever he wants, anyway he wants. He inserts things not relating to the story and makes them fit like tapestry.

For Jim, he masters the slow reveal making every story like a mystery.

Beyond the style, writers have different motivations that drives their writing.

Commenter

Post March 12, 2017, 09:45:15 PM

Hello! Long time no see, folks. Thank you so much for the invite, Daniel. I'll be happy to join in :)
"Don't look back--something might be gaining on you!"

Guest Host

Post March 13, 2017, 02:57:11 PM

AdariasWrath23 wrote:Hello! Long time no see, folks. Thank you so much for the invite, Daniel. I'll be happy to join in :)

We're pleased to have you back.

Flash Fiction Editor

Post March 21, 2017, 09:21:02 PM

I have mine first drafted now, so I will have an entry in this one.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Flash Fiction Editor

Post March 21, 2017, 09:24:25 PM

Just double checking, that 1,000 words includes our titles, our names on it, and "the end"?
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Guest Host

Post March 22, 2017, 03:20:16 PM

kailhofer wrote:

Just double checking, that 1,000 words includes our titles, our names on it, and "the end"?

Yes, total word count within the entry including everything you mentioned above.

Glad I get to read another one by you.

Editor at Large

Post March 22, 2017, 09:54:49 PM

Was just feeling it so I whipped something up. Been working on novels so it was pleasant to knock out a quick flash like the good old days.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Guest Host

Post March 22, 2017, 10:52:37 PM

EddieSullivan wrote:Was just feeling it so I whipped something up. Been working on novels so it was pleasant to knock out a quick flash like the good old days.

Great story Eddie. Professional!

We have about 3 1/2 days remaining for entries which must be in by Sunday March 26, 2017 at "5 pm" Central Standard Time.

If you are even thinking about sending an entry...you're gonna want to. This is going to be amazing!

Flash Fiction Editor

Post March 25, 2017, 12:02:43 AM

Mine is sent.

Guest Host

Post March 25, 2017, 10:04:21 AM

kailhofer wrote:Mine is sent.

This is another great story in the challenge line up which goes live Sunday at 5 pm (CST)

Commenter

Post March 26, 2017, 05:56:43 PM

Sent. Thanks for the invite!
"Reality is that which does not go away when you stop believing in it." PKD

Critic

Post March 28, 2017, 11:39:57 AM

Daniel Johnson wrote:Stories will be posted without the author's name and will be listed in random order.
;-) v.

Flash Fiction Editor

Post March 28, 2017, 01:15:38 PM

That's a genie that won't go back into the bottle... :D

Guest Host

Post March 28, 2017, 03:00:24 PM

vates wrote:
Daniel Johnson wrote:Stories will be posted without the author's name and will be listed in random order.
;-) v.

I can see that.

It is ironic that this challenge is about making mistakes and their aftermath. I overlooked that part of the set up on Sunday.

What happened was I received 5 stories close to the deadline. So I focused on assembling and formatting the stories to post them live (I usually read stories 3 times - that is my reward - reading the stories).

Also, we had a spam invasion involving the forum and the PM's while I had PM's coming in for entries.

So, I forgot to post the update concerning changing that part which was in the original set up.

If any author "entered" in this challenge feels slighted by the omission of this update to the rules, send me a PM.

Thank you for calling it to my attention.

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Johnson on March 28, 2017, 03:06:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Guest Host

Post March 28, 2017, 03:01:10 PM

kailhofer wrote:That's a genie that won't go back into the bottle... :D

That makes two!

Commenter

Post March 28, 2017, 03:21:02 PM

vates wrote:
;-) v.

Daniel, I wouldn't sweat it! Just make note of this next time and enjoy the fabulous success of your challenge.

This is just so grand!

Editor at Large

Post March 31, 2017, 03:46:03 PM

Well it worked and you are doing the heavy lifting Daniel so it is your call. I am sure it will be fine. The fun and the camaraderie of it is the important part, that and get people motivated.

Return to Fun and Games