Aphelion Author Index 2013

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 29, 2013, 08:03:50 PM

Re: Aphelion Author Index 2013

Speaking of a new Aphelion book . . . I've been thinking for a while that an annual Best Of collection would be nice . . . not just flash, but put up the editors' picks from each year. No rush to put them in print; they could be released as e-books first and see how that works out.

There's some damn fine writing in those collections . . . some of it is even mine! :D

You're close Lester but I recommend something bigger than an annual - they already do that with "Best of SF" list that ha a better "pedigree". I'm more thinking of something by Black Dog & Leventhal (Or Norton) that specializes in huge page count that can do 5-year sweeps at a time. We got the couple 5-year sweeps in the bag, and by the time we finish promoting them we' got' the third 5-year sweep on deck.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post January 29, 2013, 08:19:16 PM

Re: Richard Tornello Edition Publications

Mark Edgemon wrote:Ah...okay, should I no longer work on the poetry, either the top 7 prolific poets or Richard's pieces? If you are working up everything from inception, it sounds like you've got everything under control.

I'm going with that premise, however if you need something from me, let me know.

Mark

Hi Mark,

My suggestion to you (which you performed admirably!) was a rough guess.
As an update, it appears that Robin Lipinski, Rick Tornello are way up there, followed by Mike Berger, John M. Marshall and Clinton Van Inman, and as predicted, it drops like a rock. But do keep your eyes on stray forum poems Richard might have done. Just keep notes. In whatever update they show up in, you can then chime in either agreeing or proclaiming "lost Tornello masterpieces".]

Edit: Now that we'll have our archives in order this year, I'm generally up for a bit more marketing this year. Many forms! Guerilla Stuff! After all, we got the Spam problem licked, right? I'd recommend one emergency email address on hand to gather the few remaining legit signins that can't figure it out. (I'm thinking especially of "News" types who can't apparently be bothered to spend more than 12 minutes researching their stories.)

Master Critic

Post January 29, 2013, 10:47:01 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:But do keep your eyes on stray forum poems Richard might have done. Just keep notes. In whatever update they show up in, you can then chime in either agreeing or proclaiming "lost Tornello masterpieces".]

I'm not giving up on Richard's forum pieces, I was just turning over the edition poetry listing/back issue linking project to Iain, 'cause he is already on it and openly committed to doing the edition work himself (and who better).

I'm communicating with Richard on going for his forum pieces and if I have to, I will review his posts like I did with Robin (over 800 posts for Richard to date).

Are you thinking about linking to completed short stories/articles from the forum as well?
Last edited by Mark Edgemon on January 29, 2013, 11:06:13 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Master Critic

Post January 29, 2013, 10:53:27 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:As an update, it appears that Robin Lipinski, Rick Tornello are way up there, followed by Mike Berger, John M. Marshall and Clinton Van Inman, and as predicted, it drops like a rock.

Referring to Aphelion edition publications, not counting forum poetry, I gotta think that Richard is so seriously higher in number of published poems over whoever is number two, that we're talkng Mount Olympus towering over Middle Earth (mixing my story settings) level in number one position.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 29, 2013, 11:08:12 PM

Mark Edgemon wrote:Are you thinking about linking to completed short stories/articles from the forum as well?

Articles might take a while longer. They're a bit down on my list.

The first stage of the Flash indexing involved mirroring Nate's lists, and of course populating Nate's examples into his main thread. I see a fair bunch of both yours, Richard T, and "Usual Suspects" in there, but it will take time for those to populate up to the main lists. Ahead of that are the more direct Poetry items per Iain's info and the Short Stories pulled from Robert's new issues lists. Your "Poetic Muscle" poems might be fairly easy to do - I am presuming they are separate from your Flash entries (except maybe a fluke entry). (Then Features in there somewhere!!)

I'll post an update soon with "something" in it, just to get it off my desk. No one update is any more glamorous than the others - it's just stages.

Poetry Editor

Post January 29, 2013, 11:56:10 PM

Mark Edgemon wrote:Referring to Aphelion edition publications, not counting forum poetry, I gotta think that Richard is so seriously higher in number of published poems over whoever is number two, that we're talkng Mount Olympus towering over Middle Earth (mixing my story settings) level in number one position.

What can I say? He spams me! (Just kidding, Rick!)
KNEEL before Zod!

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 29, 2013, 11:58:07 PM

You're close Lester but I recommend something bigger than an annual - they already do that with "Best of SF" list that ha a better "pedigree". I'm more thinking of something by Black Dog & Leventhal (Or Norton) that specializes in huge page count that can do 5-year sweeps at a time. We got the couple 5-year sweeps in the bag, and by the time we finish promoting them we' got' the third 5-year sweep on deck.

Tao, was this yours? You clicked the "Edit" button instead of "Quote". No matter.

The beauty of e-publishing is that there are no limits in length -- also, we don't have to measure ourselves by anyone else's standards.

Think of this: put out a series of "Annual Best of Aphelion" e-books. See how they get received by readers; try to do some promoting. If they do well, we could have a print version made up of a compilation of multiple years' worth, or collect the most popular stories from each year and make one anthology out of those.

Someone would have to format the material, but that only needs done once, and then it's all cut-and-paste.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 31, 2013, 11:48:25 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:

Tao, was this yours? You clicked the "Edit" button instead of "Quote". No matter.

The beauty of e-publishing is that there are no limits in length -- also, we don't have to measure ourselves by anyone else's standards.

Think of this: put out a series of "Annual Best of Aphelion" e-books. See how they get received by readers; try to do some promoting. If they do well, we could have a print version made up of a compilation of multiple years' worth, or collect the most popular stories from each year and make one anthology out of those.

Someone would have to format the material, but that only needs done once, and then it's all cut-and-paste.

Yeah Lester, that's mine... I have found myself a couple of times clicking "edit" when I am supposed to be "quoting" and maybe I messed something up. Rambling Trivia: I have a minor fondness for "huge dense page counts". (I get a bit grumpy to see 200 page books which give a quarter of the page to white space layouts. As a teen/young man I got hold of a Norton Anthology of English Lit. printed on "Bible Paper". It looked like it should have been 650 pages. Wrong. It was up near 1800+ or something.

Same idea with Black Dog & Leventhal - I have a book of some 5300 chess problems in 1100+ pages for only a normal price of $22.95. That's just cool. So I could see one of those types of companies doing some kind of "16 year retrospective of Aphelion" (It's this month right?)

If you nail that kind of thing once it hangs around for a long time. Yes there are some real marketing challenges to solve, but 'just sayin', it's an idea.

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 31, 2013, 01:14:05 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:
Yeah Lester, that's mine... I have found myself a couple of times clicking "edit" when I am supposed to be "quoting" and maybe I messed something up. Rambling Trivia: I have a minor fondness for "huge dense page counts". (I get a bit grumpy to see 200 page books which give a quarter of the page to white space layouts. As a teen/young man I got hold of a Norton Anthology of English Lit. printed on "Bible Paper". It looked like it should have been 650 pages. Wrong. It was up near 1800+ or something.

Same idea with Black Dog & Leventhal - I have a book of some 5300 chess problems in 1100+ pages for only a normal price of $22.95. That's just cool. So I could see one of those types of companies doing some kind of "16 year retrospective of Aphelion" (It's this month right?)

If you nail that kind of thing once it hangs around for a long time. Yes there are some real marketing challenges to solve, but 'just sayin', it's an idea.
That wouldn't be easy to sell to a print publisher -- at all. They make more money by stringing the readership along with a series. Trilogies at a minimum, and up from there, the more the merrier. Not nice to the authors' intent, sometimes. C. J. Cherryh's Chanur series is kind of a mess because the publisher made her break up the main story into four books. The first one stands alone (as does the fifth), but 2, 3, and 4 do not. It's so bad that anyone finding the third volume without reading the first two is gonna be totally lost and wondering what kind of insanity they've just encountered. I feel sorry as hell for anyone who bought the first two or three and then had to wait for the third or fourth to come out. They had to have been pissed.

This, again, is the beauty of e-books. Folks who enjoy mammoth projects (e.g., you) are going to wriggle with joy, and if you give them a little free sample -- a teaser --
and they like it, they might not mind paying $15 or more for the thing.

Then again, anyone who finds this site can ingest everything on it for free . . .

Editor Emeritus

Post January 31, 2013, 05:23:53 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:That wouldn't be easy to sell to a print publisher -- at all. They make more money by stringing the readership along with a series. Trilogies at a minimum, and up from there, the more the merrier. Not nice to the authors' intent, sometimes. C. J. Cherryh's Chanur series is kind of a mess because the publisher made her break up the main story into four books. The first one stands alone (as does the fifth), but 2, 3, and 4 do not. It's so bad that anyone finding the third volume without reading the first two is gonna be totally lost and wondering what kind of insanity they've just encountered. I feel sorry as hell for anyone who bought the first two or three and then had to wait for the third or fourth to come out. They had to have been pissed.

This, again, is the beauty of e-books. Folks who enjoy mammoth projects (e.g., you) are going to wriggle with joy, and if you give them a little free sample -- a teaser --
and they like it, they might not mind paying $15 or more for the thing.

Then again, anyone who finds this site can ingest everything on it for free . . .

Yeah, I know, I'm not a typical sale market. It just makes me wistful when a couple of companies *do* do it. Hence came about the mini fondness. I wouldn't even finish the whole books. I buy books to have them on hand, not out of a need to finish every last page. I just got grumpy with the increasing white space and sometimes overly bad paper bulking to make 288 pages look huge.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 02, 2013, 04:11:30 AM

Mark Edgemon's Poems

After a few days pause, Mark Edgemon's forum poems are going in.

Poetry Editor

Post February 03, 2013, 02:57:28 AM

Re: Aphelion Poetry Index

Hokay, folks

2007 - 2010 poetry documented and sent to Tao for upload.

Keep your fingers crossed, folks.
KNEEL before Zod!

Editor Emeritus

Post February 03, 2013, 09:08:55 PM

Wormtongue wrote:Hokay, folks

I see it. I've been a little distracted again but we'll get there.

Meanwhile did anyone figure out if web copies of Dan's Editorials exist? Rather than re-invent round things that make boxy chucks of steel travel well on roads, one good question is better. :) I think the same question applies to Seanan McGuire's essays. Someone yell at me if they know of any other important latter-day single-author features.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 03, 2013, 09:15:15 PM

I see it. I've been a little distracted again but we'll get there. Hehe I got stuck a couple times reading Mark's poetry! : ) My high end trick DOES take a little bit of concentration to do it right so I need to get a grip. :D

Meanwhile did anyone figure out if web copies of Dan's Editorials exist? Rather than re-invent round things that make boxy chucks of steel travel well on roads, one good question is better. :) I think the same question applies to Seanan McGuire's essays. Someone yell at me if they know of any other important latter-day single-author features. (Not a "feature" but significant other single-author stuff counts - I could only think of Robin Lipinski and Mark Edgemon's forum poetry.)

I didn't want to ask for a spreadsheet but I don't have drive read access yet so I can't tell what the links are.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 03, 2013, 10:24:10 PM

Flash Index II is up to date and ready for you to grab, Tao.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 04, 2013, 01:58:38 AM

TaoPhoenix wrote:

I see it. I've been a little distracted again but we'll get there. Hehe I got stuck a couple times reading Mark's poetry! : ) My high end trick DOES take a little bit of concentration to do it right so I need to get a grip. :D

Meanwhile did anyone figure out if web copies of Dan's Editorials exist? Rather than re-invent round things that make boxy chucks of steel travel well on roads, one good question is better. :) I think the same question applies to Seanan McGuire's essays. Someone yell at me if they know of any other important latter-day single-author features. (Not a "feature" but significant other single-author stuff counts - I could only think of Robin Lipinski and Mark Edgemon's forum poetry.)

I didn't want to ask for a spreadsheet but I don't have drive read access yet so I can't tell what the links are.

By "read access", do you mean access via FTP? After more than 7 years as Short Story Editor, I'm still using Dan's userid and password...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post February 04, 2013, 10:30:12 AM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:By "read access", do you mean access via FTP? After more than 7 years as Short Story Editor, I'm still using Dan's userid and password...

Well I'm open to whatever the technical specs are that helps keep random people out whether it's FTP or something. At the simplest level if for example on my alpha copy if I enter a subdirectory into the browser instead of "forbidden" I get the following list of links:

http://www.freevoteusa.com/AphelionArch ... 013/notes/

abbasi_jack_405.html
adams_gregory_932.html
adams_richie_406.html
addis_anthony_407.html
afxentiou_vasilis_adams_408.html

etc. I just don't know how to set that if only I am supposed to see it for the actual stories. Specifically with a file list like that then (if I am paying attention etc) and do some twisty rubik's cube-y stuff, it goes straight into the index without hitting "control-c copy control v paste" one by one all day. (Depending on FTP details I'm not sure how to grab that list.)

Editor Emeritus

Post February 04, 2013, 11:02:06 AM

If you have FTP access to the Aphelion server, each editorial exists as "editorial.html" in a folder named for the issue number and volume (e.g., ap169v16). I could tell you the userid and password I have been using (so if we screw anything up, we'll just say "it must have been Dan!")...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post February 04, 2013, 11:16:41 AM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:If you have FTP access to the Aphelion server, each editorial exists as "editorial.html" in a folder named for the issue number and volume (e.g., ap169v16). I could tell you the userid and password I have been using (so if we screw anything up, we'll just say "it must have been Dan!")...

Might as well send me that info in a PM, though I'll be careful! Though we might have caught a break on the editorials and I might be able to get Excel to do some of the work for me again in a pattern.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 04, 2013, 11:25:57 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:...

Yikes! I didn't think it was even possible to edit other people's posts! :shock:

I quote stuff, copy it, then edit my own posts a lot, so I'll have to really pay attention it's actually my post I'm editing! (And they're 'reeeally' close together!)

Long Fiction Editor

Post February 04, 2013, 12:55:04 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:

Yikes! I didn't think it was even possible to edit other people's posts! :shock:

I quote stuff, copy it, then edit my own posts a lot, so I'll have to really pay attention it's actually my post I'm editing! (And they're 'reeeally' close together!)

Aw, c'mon -- ! They're not THAT close! (Although, I've done it myself once.)
Attachments
buttons.jpg
buttons.jpg (20.78 KiB) Viewed 3423 times

Editor Emeritus

Post February 04, 2013, 02:09:27 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:
TaoPhoenix wrote:

Aw, c'mon -- ! They're not THAT close! (Although, I've done it myself once.)

Yes. Yes they are. Though it might be browser specific!
Attachments
FF Aphelion.png
FF Aphelion.png (4.3 KiB) Viewed 3419 times

Long Fiction Editor

Post February 04, 2013, 03:31:26 PM

Wow, those are close. It's either the browser (mine's FireFox) or the skin.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 04, 2013, 09:18:16 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:Wow, those are close. It's either the browser (mine's FireFox) or the skin.

I believe that's the Board Style from your user control panel here on Aphelion.

By the look of it, Tao uses the "CA Orbital"' style. Lester, like me, seems to use the "subsilver" style. It's all in how you like to look at the posts.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 04, 2013, 09:21:39 PM

kailhofer wrote:By the look of it, Tao uses the "CA Orbital"' style. Lester, like me, seems to use the "subsilver" style. It's all in how you like to look at the posts.

Well I'm all a fan of "Dark Colors" but not if it means a risk of a really evil brand of mistake! (Forcibly editing someone else's post is pretty high up in my list! Eek!) So at some point I'll dig in there for a compromise.

"With Red Letters Comes Great Responsibility" ... or something Spidey said : )

Editor Emeritus

Post February 04, 2013, 10:13:52 PM

Alpha5 coming soon

Alpha 5 will probably be a bit uneven looking. I have a lot of conversations going and so in one of the "technical updates" I'll duplicate a bit of work, but I just gotta unload a few things pretty soon rather than sit on them forever driving myself crazy : )

Master Critic

Post February 04, 2013, 10:39:17 PM

Poetry Reading

TaoPhoenix wrote:...I got stuck a couple times reading Mark's poetry!

I'm glad for that.

If you would, I'd like for you to read the last half dozen poems, number #186 thru #191 and see if you see a difference in those poems from the earlier ones.

I think there has been a shift in my writing, but I could use someone else's observations.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on them if you have the time.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 04, 2013, 11:50:24 PM

Re: Poetry Reading

Mark Edgemon wrote:
TaoPhoenix wrote:...I got stuck a couple times reading Mark's poetry!

I'm glad for that.

If you would, I'd like for you to read the last half dozen poems, number #186 thru #191 and see if you see a difference in those poems from the earlier ones.

I think there has been a shift in my writing, but I could use someone else's observations.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on them if you have the time.

"Make you a deal" - not yet, in the sense that I need to get a bit more progress done, I was more sporadically dipping in here and there when you and Lester chatted a little etc. To give you a good answer if your fresh brand new poems are "new and improved" needs to wait (hopefully not forever!!) for when I put a "study hat" back on which is a medium ways out. You come up with lots of great things to do, more than my feeble powers of focus can currently handle! :)

Master Critic

Post February 05, 2013, 01:35:09 AM

TaoPhoenix wrote:"Make you a deal" - not yet, in the sense that I need to get a bit more progress done, I was more sporadically dipping in here and there when you and Lester chatted a little etc. To give you a good answer if your fresh brand new poems are "new and improved" needs to wait (hopefully not forever!!) for when I put a "study hat" back on which is a medium ways out. You come up with lots of great things to do, more than my feeble powers of focus can currently handle!

Oh, I thought you had read some of the earlier ones more substantially and would be primed to offer a comparison observation. I wasn't looking for an in depth analysis, but more of an overall sense or feeling that you are left with having read both stages of development.

Stay on your current project. Take this off your to do list.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 13, 2013, 10:08:45 AM

Mark Edgemon wrote:Oh, I thought you had read some of the earlier ones more substantially and would be primed to offer a comparison observation. I wasn't looking for an in depth analysis, but more of an overall sense or feeling that you are left with having read both stages of development.

Stay on your current project. Take this off your to do list.

Heh this is like something out of Aladdin or Indiana Jones - "look at all the nice poems but don't stop to read them all!" When I feel satisfied that the bigger stuff is taken care of, it might be neat to then do the comparison you mentioned, especially since you have tipped off that there is a style change to watch for.
PreviousNext

Return to Administrivia