On Both Sides of Reality by Sergio Palumbo

Tell us what you thought about the October 2011 issue

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post October 21, 2011, 08:28:29 AM

On Both Sides of Reality by Sergio Palumbo

The thing I appreciate the most in this Mediterranean writer's story, is the wealth of culture he brings to his work. There is a lot of emphasis in the West on expansionism and environmental domination - both on global and universal stages. The older cultures, however, tend to be more reflective about the overall meaning of life, not just for the individual, but also for civilizations which rise and fall at the whims of fate.
This story reflects that deep thinking about reincarnation, about spirits thirsting for the chance at renewed life - about the 'other side' that is always watching, waiting. Done in a narrative style, which suits the subject matter, this author looks into a future that is waning because of a virus that renders humanity sterile. Interesting.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post October 21, 2011, 09:11:40 AM

Re: On Both Sides of Reality by Sergio Palumbo

Good story, short to the point leaves me thinking and I will return with some other comments, except to say right now, it is somewhat, somewhat being the operative word, depressing.

Unlike ANALOG, where they like happy endings, this is closer to reality and no marines to the rescue.

RT

Master Critic

Post October 23, 2011, 02:32:59 PM

Many thanks, I'm glad you liked it...eh,eh!!!
:D
And, of course, I must thank so much Michele Dutcher and Robert Moriyama for their suggestions and editing which made the short- story look much better now on Aphelion!!! :D :D

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 28, 2011, 11:25:09 AM

Very interesting take on the living and the dead, and with an unusual plot. I never would have dreamed of a conflict among the dead to see who gets to occupy a new living body.

There's something missing, though -- dealing with the horrendous mess left behind when most of the population dies in a short time. I know that wasn't the point of the story, but I think it deserved a mention.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to October 2011