General forums

Tell us what you thought about the May 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Critic

Post June 02, 2004, 07:39:38 AM

General forums

Wouldn't it be useful to have a forum that does not relate to any specific issue of Aphelion? You know, for posting suggestions, general discussions (might have more than one forum, come to think of it) and such. Because posts such as this one don't really belong in a specific issue. It also makes it much more difficult to find it later on.<br><br>Any opinions?<br><br> - Wishbone
"Nothing travels faster than light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws."
- Douglas Adams

Editor Emeritus

Post June 05, 2004, 01:45:19 PM

Re: General forums

<br>Of course it would be useful. <br><br>The question becomes, how much work is it to reconfigure the LetterCol to do Non Monthly posts?<br><br>Don't we want our Lettercol to explode out of sight? <br><br>--TaoPhoenix

Senior Editor

Post June 05, 2004, 05:07:31 PM

As it stands now, Rob would have to create new folders on the main forum page alongside the Issue specific folders. There'd be one or two generic-topic folders that everyone could create topics within- just like the folders for each issue.<br>That said, how do you get people to stick to any one topic in the Monthly Issue folders? LOL! There were some really nice threads in the April folder that haven't been commented on since the May issue came out. They are still there, but no one is adding to them. I'd hate for Rob to set the things up and then no one use them after a few months.<br>Of course, not adding the generic-topic folders will make archiving the forum much easier. (Looking ahead to when a CD of the Lettercol might become necessary, LOL!)<br>:)<br>Let's keep talking about this until we figure out exactly what we really want. Rob's *good* but this Forum program is a new one to him. It'd be rude to ask him for a whole bunch of stuff that we wind up not using after he went thru the work of setting them up. <br>Dan<br>
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Editor Emeritus

Post June 05, 2004, 09:36:35 PM

<br>Well, We're still all agog with the new forum. <br>It's still relegated to "this month and last month" <br>But Even as soon as next month it's gonna become an avalanche of miscellaneous months. <br><br>We desperately need some general folders, and you need to be prepared for 1000 comments in them!!!<br>(Can the program take it?) <br><br>--TaoPhoenix

Critic

Post June 06, 2004, 09:02:28 AM

Another thing to consider is that it is currently June 6th, and we are still using the May forum. Not knocking Rob, he's done a great job and I thank him for it.<br><br> I would recommend that we have month specific forums and a general forum. The month specific forums would deal with the stories from that particular month, while the general forum would deal with all other items, such as this topic. If a thread in a month specific forum starts to get away from the story and more generalized, it can them be moved to the general forum, such as the current "Helen in Wonderland" topic.<br><br>Kevin

Editor Emeritus

Post June 06, 2004, 09:37:26 AM

Another thing to consider is that it is currently June 6th, and we are still using the May forum. Not knocking Rob, he's done a great job and I thank him for it.

I would recommend that we have month specific forums and a general forum. The month specific forums would deal with the stories from that particular month, while the general forum would deal with all other items, such as this topic. If a thread in a month specific forum starts to get away from the story and more generalized, it can them be moved to the general forum, such as the current "Helen in Wonderland" topic.

Kevin
<br><br>... We're still using the May forums 'cause the June issue isn't online yet! ;) As others have noted, we haven't had April-related comments since May became available.<br><br>As for moving threads between forums ... oy vey. You're trying to make Rob's and Dan's lives complicated. First one or the other would have to decide when a thread has crossed the line between month (story)-specific and general; then Rob would have to do the surgery.<br><br>Fortunately, since neither Dan nor Rob is allowed to have a life aside from working on Aphelion, I'm sure they'll be glad to take on the extra work ... :D
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post June 06, 2004, 05:29:56 PM

<br>Well, We desperately need general forums. <br>If topics like the Helen Wonderland topic get out of hand, MEMBERS can create a topic folder themselves, and we can even copy our messages if we really feel desperate. No reason Rob or Dan has to do this. <br><br>And I wonder what the message limit is for a topic. <br>If General categories appear, I'll start a Monster on comments on earlier Items from the Aphelion Pantheon. <br><br>---TaoPhoenix

Critic

Post July 29, 2004, 11:34:38 PM

We desperately need some general folders, and you need to be prepared for 1000 comments in them!!!
(Can the program take it?)
--TaoPhoenix
<br><br>Looks like you were right there!<br>
Last edited by Greg_Guerin on July 30, 2004, 12:47:19 AM, edited 1 time in total.
[img width=40 height=40]http://www.ozscififorum.com/100_010.jpeg[/img] Greg Guerin
[hr]
[url=http://www.ozscififorum.com:2tvavb2m]Australian Science Fiction Forum[/url:2tvavb2m]

Critic

Post August 22, 2004, 02:02:59 PM

With some of the topics appearing there, we may soon find out if the program can take it or not.<br><br>Kevin

Return to May 2004