Steampunk and Future Punk

Tell us what you thought about the March 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post March 31, 2011, 02:47:38 PM

Steampunk and Future Punk

If you all remember the movie Wild Wild West, where in they took the available technology for the time period, that was not used, not exploited and probably beyond the vision of the engineers of the time, and applied the use of such technology to that time period. This is not a comment about the quality of the movie. That's another story for another thread.

My question is, what current technology, current inventions and such, are we missing today,that's right in front of our noses? And How, if we can recognize IT, might it be applied for good or bad?

I know some of the stuff is in the BLACK world, and we out here in the non-cleared world do not have access to it. And that world would, I'm sure,if we could get a view, would make our hair stand on end. However there must be enough in the way of hints, PhD dissertations, proposals, help wanted ads, Aviation Week,(and similar magazines) that would open the doors a crack so we could at least get a hint.

Ya think???

Has anyone worked that arena? (not the Black just the open research to write about possibilities). Just wondering

RT

Master Critic

Post March 31, 2011, 03:31:08 PM

Re: Steampunk and Future Punk

That's a very good thought, Rick. I'm sure if we look around at the different ways our technology is used, we can come up with a modern-present-day- parallel that mirrors 'Steam Punk' of old. The only difference----it is before our eyes and we only have to see it! I'm sure it's there.

The Russian EKRANOPLANS comes close to that concept just right off the top of my head, but I've never thought along your lines before about present day 'Steam Punk' type adaptations. That is a very good thought, Rick!! :) :idea: :)
Tesla Lives!!!

Master Critic

Post March 31, 2011, 05:18:07 PM

Rather than "the Black" it is usually referred to as "the Gray". Wish I could say more.

-- david j.
Check out my blog: http://wp.me/NXsO

Master Critic

Post March 31, 2011, 06:53:08 PM

Gray is different', BLACK PROGRAMS are just that, no light, no nothing, and the term is in the open literature that they exist. I am not talking about covert activities, just technology, science and R&D.

No matter, still it would be an interesting exercise to look beyond, or within what is open, out there, today, and make the jump.

For example, quantum teleportation has occurred as reported in SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN. Okay so what can that mean, lead to or???

Cloaking. once a scifi idea is real and the technology is growing.

What else is there in these two subjects alone and what possible spins offs can be guessed?

RT

Long Fiction Editor

Post March 31, 2011, 07:27:27 PM

I bet there's a lot in the material technologies fields that we don't know about.

Years ago, I used to ride bicycles, and read some of the publications. Cyclists are known fanatics about strength vs weight, and an interesting thing came to light. The US military had been using some kind of steel alloy called Aermet, which had superior strength-to-weight characteristics -- and finally released it for commercial use, after having kept it as a military secret for some twenty years, IIRC.

Lots of research labs work for the military, producing classified stuff.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post April 01, 2011, 08:11:00 AM

davjonz wrote:Rather than "the Black" it is usually referred to as "the Gray". Wish I could say more.

-- david j.

Wish I could say more, but then I'd have to kill ya... Nice ploy.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post April 01, 2011, 03:00:07 PM

Hindsight is 20/10, STEAM PUNK

future sight is, well up in the air. Future Punk.

If you recall my story Some Molecular Self-Assembly Required, I took the issue with nano/chemical runoff and a possible affect on life, even though Bill had issues.
That was an attempt to use the current technology and possible effects/affects in the future.

Here, I'm asking to look at hard physical inventions, or concepts that are or can be built, that may be ignored or their use not appreciated and attempt to apply new uses to them in ways not considered.

RT

Return to March 2011