Time Traveler on Cell Phone?

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post October 28, 2010, 07:38:29 AM

Time Traveler on Cell Phone?

http://tv.yahoo.com/daytime/video/early ... /22208433/

What do you all think of this?
Video clip.

Master Critic

Post October 28, 2010, 08:19:15 AM

cell phone

I saw this clip on Entertainment Tonight. It's a lady holding a small conical hearing aid - quite common during that time period.
Believe me, I'm all about weird stuff - but would a civilization capable of producing time travel really still be holding a cell phone up to her ear? Even today, we have headsets. Within another 30 years, people will have communication chips implanted behind their ears that will give them constant access to communication networks AND will pinpoint where they are at all times - so no one will ever get lost or kidnapped again.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post October 28, 2010, 09:32:42 AM

Re: cell phone

bottomdweller wrote:. . . .Within another 30 years, people will have communication chips implanted behind their ears that will give them constant access to communication networks AND will pinpoint where they are at all times - so no one will ever get lost or kidnapped again.

Don't let the Limbaugh Crowd hear you say that. . .

Gotta tell you this one. In about 1985, or so, I and a friend held a fictitious conversation in line at a Burger King. We didn't plan it, but we thought on the same kinds of modes. It went something like this:

"They eat real animal flesh in this time period?"

"Oh yes, Synthi-meat won't be invented for another thirty years."

"And it's legal?"

"Here and now, it is."

"We won't miss the birth of Our Savior, will we?"

"She's going to be born at two-thirty, their time. There's always some uncertainty in the Time Variant. We have more than two hours to kill. Besides, when is the next time you'll get a chance to legally taste the flesh of an actual living animal?"

"Quiet, I think some of the locals are listening."

Totally unrehearsed, and totally effective. We got the strangest looks.

We had a blast.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 28, 2010, 11:16:38 AM

I'm with bottomdweller on this one. A time-traveler with a hand-held anything? Hahahahaha!

The Borg already look like walking junk-shops compared with the stuff we've got now.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post October 28, 2010, 11:20:29 AM

time traveller

Bill says he got the strangest looks at Burger King - but he's use to that. Ba-dup!
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post October 28, 2010, 08:39:01 PM

Also, cell phones require cell towers. Unless said time traveler was using a sat phone and speaking directly with her control via relays to the mother ship holding a geostationary or geosynchronous orbit.

Oh, and who would send a little old lady back in time as an explorer?

...Actually, that gives me a great idea for a story!

-- david j.
Check out my blog: http://wp.me/NXsO

Editor Emeritus

Post October 28, 2010, 11:32:24 PM

That was no lady, that was Ah-nuld in a disguise

davjonz wrote:Also, cell phones require cell towers. Unless said time traveler was using a sat phone and speaking directly with her control via relays to the mother ship holding a geostationary or geosynchronous orbit.

Oh, and who would send a little old lady back in time as an explorer?

...Actually, that gives me a great idea for a story!

-- david j.

Remember the fat woman at Martian Customs in "Total Recall" (the movie, not the original Philip K. Dick story)? You could fit just about anybody or anything of that height inside that outfit, including a smallish humanoid in an Apollo-style spacesuit.

I'm not entirely sure there was anything in her hand -- could just be a very dark shadow. In fact, my impression was that she was using her hand to shade her eyes (sunlight angle from her left and slightly behind her).

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post October 29, 2010, 11:54:40 AM

Bills In line conversation

I do stuff like that all the time. The best one was at lunch with my Daughter-in-law (DIL) and her 10 month old. Remember her mom is Asian so the the kid and the DIL are Asian.

A patron comes up to us and gives us the usual how cute crap.
I tell her that the kid is a CYBORG and we're from HONDA conducting stability tests. We don't have all the bugs worked out as you can see.

My DIL tell me to hush. Our (DIL and myself) conversation continues and it appears as if I'm giving out trade secrets. At the same time I keep at it with further techno babble and the patron believes me.

Meanwhile my DIL scoops up the kid and takes her to the car, a HONDA.

I tried this with my daughter 24 years ago but most people had no idea what a cyborg was back then.

I also put an ad in the pet section for a Schrodinger Cat with all hints and such. I actually got calls from people that wanted it. They had no idea. So I told them it was a rare breed requiring special care. Oh yes they all said they wanted one. I told them that they should google it just to make sure and if they had the ability and desire to, they could call back.

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 29, 2010, 12:20:22 PM

As to the old lady -- she might have had her hand up to shield her eyes from the sun or to keep the breeze off her face -- maybe her ear was getting cold.

Or -- she might -- MIGHT have just been walking along the street and suddenly thought, "I wonder what people would think if I just held my hand up like this for a while?"

Naah.

As to Rick --
I also put an ad in the pet section for a Schrodinger Cat with all hints and such. I actually got calls from people that wanted it. They had no idea. So I told them it was a rare breed requiring special care. Oh yes they all said they wanted one. I told them that they should google it just to make sure and if they had the ability and desire to, they could call back.
That's just mean.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Critic

Post October 29, 2010, 12:49:54 PM

It's one of my favorite forms of entertainment - playing with strangers. I like to eavesdrop and I like to provide the conversations, too.

In line at stores, etc. is a great place because your audience is confined with you for a short time. Of course, elevator theatre is very good, too - but you really need 2 to play.

When I worked for a government contractor years ago, we occupied 3 non-contiguous floors of a 10 floor building. The floors were secure, so only badge-holders could get into them from the elevator. One day I had a little kitty in a carrier - I had adopted her and needed to keep the little critter in my office until I could get her home (That was Bertie, the little 1/2 Siamese)

Our IT guy was in the elevator with me and it was crowded with the ususal insurance, banking, etc. folks from other floors. He asked, loudly if I was taking the kitty to the fourth floor. I said yes. He said, "But I thought we stopped the experiments on live animals after what happened yesterday...you know, the, uh, viral thing."

"She's the last one - we think she's immune, but we're not sure."

THe elevator went quiet except for Bertie's mewing.

The doors opened at 4 and I got out - but everyone (except Alec) was stunned and pale. And we heard rumors of "animal experiments" for weeks.
PS We just did computer studies there - no animals, labs or mythic torture chambers...but lots of fun on those elevators. One of the guys had an ice chest labeled "Human Organs" that he carried full of papers and junk.
Kate Thornton

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2010, 03:45:11 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:I'm with bottomdweller on this one. A time-traveler with a hand-held anything? Hahahahaha!

The Borg already look like walking junk-shops compared with the stuff we've got now.

This is actually a pretty good defenseto the Alien Kidnapping theme too. "They have all that tech and the best they could do was snatch up Mildred from Willow Corners, Wisconsin?"

Master Critic

Post November 10, 2010, 09:33:42 AM

time traveler and "cell"

It was a training class in Abduction/Time Travel 101. These were freshalien in their first abduction and placement assignment.

They are at a small college not a big university with modern equipment. This is the best they can do.

Give them a break.

RT

Return to Administrivia