February Poetry Poll

Tell us what you thought of the February 2010 issue.

Vote for your favourite poetry piece in the February Aphelion

2012 by J. Davidson Hero
No votes
A Ripple In My Mind by Richard Tornello
No votes
Antiquity by Will Conway
14%
Cry from the Abyss by Michelle Dutcher
No votes
Flatworld by Matt Tuckey
No votes
Smiling Faces by Stephen Jarrell Williams
14%
Taking the Confession of the Angel of Death by Jean Jones
No votes
The Angel of Death Offers Consolation by Bruce Whealton
No votes
Welcome by Mike Berger
29%
When We Were Large by Robert William Shmigelsky
No votes
Your Dewy Throne by J. B. Hogan
43%

Total votes : 7

Poetry Editor

Post March 02, 2010, 06:04:18 PM

February Poetry Poll

As requested (and I think it a fine idea): tell us what you thought was the best piece of poetry published this month, and more importantly *why*.

The 'Winner" receives nothing but bragging rights! (Who knows: I may have found a way of picking next year's 'best of...')
KNEEL before Zod!

Editor Emeritus

Post March 03, 2010, 06:09:51 PM

This is pretty tough. There are a lot of different styles represented here. How do you compare a really brief haiku-like poem like "Smiling Faces"
by Stephen Jarrell Williams to what might be considered a type of object poem in "Antiquity" by Will Conway? Both are good at what they are trying to do. There are examples of narrative poems, lyric poems, some that might be classified as prose poems, even possibly a verse fable. J.B. Hogan's poem is the only one that has a consistent metrical pattern, the rest free verse, so how do we compare those. "Smiling Faces" and "Flatworld" by Matt Tuckey both have the word "guillotine" in them, but which do I like better? I feel like I'm trying to compare apples and oranges.

If I'm really going to vote for my "favorite" I'd be voting for my own, since I'm ridiculously biased. But in my defense I did spend way more time working on my poem and re-reading it than I spent reading any of the others, so why wouldn't it be my favorite. But what's the point in voting for my own? No point at all. :lol:

This is going to take some more thought.

Hero

Poetry Editor

Post March 04, 2010, 03:48:03 AM

Welcome to my world, Davidson :) Scary here, innit?
KNEEL before Zod!

Master Critic

Post March 04, 2010, 09:22:33 AM

comment

Yeah Davidson, I like your poem too, It rings true. But I like mine better for personal reasons. Mine reflects a sudden awareness I had and was world mind changing for me.

Yes poetry is subjective, isn't that what's so great about the lyrics to music if one listens to them? It's poetry put to sound other than the mind/voice alone.

I would vote for mine but like you, I won't. That's why I like the editors to pick one a year. It is outside the listening audience. They have a different axe to grind.

RT

Master Critic

Post March 05, 2010, 08:48:13 AM

Smiling Faces

I liked Smiling Faces the best because it's very crisp, with a twist and the end. I've often thought it's a bad idea to send radio signals into the universe without knowing who's listening. It's like standing in Times Square at 2 AM and shouting hysterically, never knowing who's going to show up.
Along with being a little scifi-y, it's also a metaphor for real life.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Editor Emeritus

Post March 05, 2010, 03:44:33 PM

I voted for "Antiquity" by Will Conway. There is some classic quality to the poem that I like. Maybe it's the subject matter, maybe it's the style. It made me think of Keat's "Ode to a Grecian Urn."

This was a tough choice though. I could have chosen several others this month just as well. Richard's poem is very good and as I stated in other comments about it, the concept seems very original and fresh to me. I also liked "Smiling Faces" by Stephen Jarrell Williams probably for the compression of language and "When We Were Large" by Robert William Shmigelsky for the myth-making nature of the poem.

I have to agree with the point Doc made in his comment about the short story poll to a degree. Winning a poll is going to boost one writer's ego, but it doesn't improve anybody's skills.

I agree with Richard too about editors picking the best of for the year. I like to see Iain's picks. I don't want it to be a forum vote. Votes can pretty easily be tampered with and skewed. Look at how much trouble the flash challenge has experienced. I might pick differently than Iain, but he's the poetry editor and I want to know what he thinks. And the same would apply to the other editors. The editors don't usually voice their opinions much in the forum. So this gives us an opportunity to get a closer look at how they evaluate our work.

Hero

Poetry Editor

Post March 05, 2010, 09:23:55 PM

Davidson: I am happy to continue as we have, but thought this would be an interesting experiment. As people have pointed out, poetry is very subjective, and what resonates with me may leave others cold (and vice versa).

There are several good pieces this month (and, I like to think, every month) which could, by one criterion or another, be adjudged 'favourite'. Personally, I liked "Welcome," for the humour and the sting in its tail, but "Antiquity" speaks to me in a different way.

Over here, we have the swings, and over there, the roundabouts...
KNEEL before Zod!

Return to February 2010