Ghost Rockets of Norway?

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post December 10, 2009, 03:48:47 PM

Ghost Rockets of Norway?

Perhaps Nightwatch should investigate this...

http://news.aol.ca/article/russian-miss ... zy/752784/

Russian Missile Failure Sparks UFO Frenzy
Source: The Associated Press
Posted: 12/10/09 12:02PM
Filed Under: World

MOSCOW (AP) - Russia's error-prone Bulava intercontinental ballistic missile has suffered its eighth failure in 12 tests, the Defense Ministry said Thursday, dealing another blow to Kremlin hopes that the sea-based weapon would become a cornerstone of its nuclear arsenal.

Officials had hoped military contracts for the submarine-launched missile could be negotiated next year, but the high-profile botches look likely to derail those plans.

The Defense Ministry's statement announcing the latest failure, which it said occurred after Wednesday's launch from the White Sea just east of Scandinavia, came amid speculation about the origin of mysterious spiraling lights over northern parts of Norway.

Photographs and amateur video footage of the lights have been circulating on the Internet since Wednesday.

The ministry said it did not know whether the lights were the Bulava, which can accommodate multiple nuclear warheads and has a range of 5,000 miles (8,000 kilometers).

{AP Photo/Anita Olsen, Scanpix, Norway
**The photo shows what appears to be a spiral of light (brightest at its center) with a possibly-luminous smoke trail over a small town. If the upper stage of a missile became unstable and started to spin out of control, I wonder if it would make a pattern like that (in a long-exposure photo)?**

A strange light phenomenon is seen in the night sky above Skjervoy in northern Norway early Wednesday Dec. 9, 2009. According to some reports, the unexplained light may have been caused by the failure of a new Russian anti-submarine-based intercontinental missile which was being tested across the Norwegian-Russian border.}

The Defense Ministry's statement announcing the latest failure, which it said occurred after Wednesday's launch from the White Sea just east of Scandinavia, came amid speculation about the origin of mysterious spiraling lights over northern parts of Norway.

Photographs and amateur video footage of the lights have been circulating on the Internet since Wednesday.

The ministry said it did not know whether the lights were the Bulava, which can accommodate multiple nuclear warheads and has a range of 5,000 miles (8,000 kilometers).

"The first two stages of the rocket worked as they should have, however, in the third and final stage of the flight a technical error occurred," the statement said. "According to tests, the third stage's engine was unstable."

Despite the repeated failures — which look set to torpedo plans to finish testing this year — Russian leaders have boasted about the Bulava's ability to penetrate missile defenses and have described it as a key part of the military's future nuclear arsenal.

Officials have insisted the Bulava's design is fine and have blamed its failed tests on manufacturing flaws resulting from post-Soviet industrial degradation. They have said it's difficult to control the quality of all the parts supplied by the 650 subcontractors involved in the program.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post December 10, 2009, 08:42:27 PM

Robert,

I've been seeing this on the news the last two days. Maybe you should start a new master thread where we could collect these types of story inspirations. I had started a thread a while back titled "Oh no! Here comes Hedorah!" about the long trail of sludge in the Pacific that was in the news. I thought it might work for a flash challenge idea. I posted it under Writers Workshop because I didn't know where else to go with it, although after the fact, posting under Fun and Games probably would have made more sense at the time. If you started a new thread like the quote threads, there'd be a home for this type of information.

Hero

Editor Emeritus

Post December 10, 2009, 11:51:12 PM

viz. "Ghost Rockets of Sweden" in "Series&quo

davidsonhero wrote:Robert,

I've been seeing this on the news the last two days. Maybe you should start a new master thread where we could collect these types of story inspirations. I had started a thread a while back titled "Oh no! Here comes Hedorah!" about the long trail of sludge in the Pacific that was in the news. I thought it might work for a flash challenge idea. I posted it under Writers Workshop because I didn't know where else to go with it, although after the fact, posting under Fun and Games probably would have made more sense at the time. If you started a new thread like the quote threads, there'd be a home for this type of information.

Hero

A story (not necessarily the only possible story, but a story) titled "Ghost Rockets of Sweden" already exists. It's one of the entries in the currently-dormant "Nightwatch" series written by a brilliant author named John R. Murray. (Any resemblance between Mr. Murray's writing and mine is purely coincidental.)

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/serials ... ockets.htm

Jack London (1876-1916)

Production Editor

Post December 30, 2009, 11:28:50 PM

Re: viz. "Ghost Rockets of Sweden" in "Series

Robert_Moriyama wrote:
A story (not necessarily the only possible story, but a story) titled "Ghost Rockets of Sweden" already exists. It's one of the entries in the currently-dormant "Nightwatch" series written by a brilliant author named John R. Murray. (Any resemblance between Mr. Murray's writing and mine is purely coincidental.)

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/serials ... ockets.htm

Ah, but other ghosts are stirring. In the shadows, three figures working behind the scenes to keep the world safe are on the move.

The return of <i>Nightwatch</i>? Perhaps time will tell...

--Jeff Williams

Master Critic

Post December 31, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Jeff_Williams wrote:The return of <i>Nightwatch</i>? Perhaps time will tell...

Jeff,

Welcome Back! I haven't seen your fat-fingered typing on these pages in a while. . .

And as for your inference, don't forget the words of the Sage:

"Tease not, lest ye be teased."

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Production Editor

Post December 31, 2009, 07:26:17 PM

Bill_Wolfe wrote:

Bill Wolfe[/size]

Well, it's not really a tease, but I know better than to outright <i>promise</i> anything. You never know what will happen.

Having sufficiently hedged my bets, however, I can tell you that plans are afoot. Plans are definitely afoot...

--Jeff

Editor Emeritus

Post December 31, 2009, 09:31:34 PM

Jeff_Williams wrote:
Bill_Wolfe wrote:

Bill Wolfe[/size]

Well, it's not really a tease, but I know better than to outright <i>promise</i> anything. You never know what will happen.

Having sufficiently hedged my bets, however, I can tell you that plans are afoot. Plans are definitely afoot...

--Jeff

"Plans are definitely afoot"? I thought the GAME was afoot. But according to my car, the door is a jar, and according to Mr. Heinlein's Fifth Column, the snark is a boojum. (This is all some kind of nonsense encryption scheme planted by a Prometheus operative to waste NSA resources. Nightwatch, of course, is too smart to fall for such a ploy.)

Jack London (1876-1916)

Production Editor

Post December 31, 2009, 11:51:46 PM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:
"Plans are definitely afoot"? I thought the GAME was afoot. But according to my car, the door is a jar, and according to Mr. Heinlein's Fifth Column, the snark is a boojum. (This is all some kind of nonsense encryption scheme planted by a Prometheus operative to waste NSA resources. Nightwatch, of course, is too smart to fall for such a ploy.)

Plans are clever and confusing in that way. Sometimes they are afoot, sometimes they are at hand. Sometimes they have a leg up on you. I don't know; it's all hard to put a finger on.

As far as I can tell, however, these plans are relatively armless.

--Jeff

Editor Emeritus

Post January 01, 2010, 03:18:50 PM

I'm afraid I'll have to believe it when I see it. I've been hurt before. :)
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to Administrivia