Pet Adoption

Tell us what you thought of the July 2009 issue!

Master Critic

Post July 16, 2009, 01:03:18 PM

Pet Adoption

Is there any creature on Earth as alien as the lowly domesticated cat? What in the heck are they thinking about? When they just stare for five minutes at a space between the wall and the bed – what are they seeing? If one of them runs away – where are they running to?
John Winn attempts to answer some of these questions in his very fun piece: Pet Adoption. I like very much his cat eye view of a spaceship. Cat lovers will love this story (and I am definitely one of those – don’t tell my dog!)
I was a little confused by the ending, however. Whose big legs are they? Could someone clarify this for me?
Really - nice writing. Good job.

Senior Critic

Post July 22, 2009, 08:09:28 PM

Re: Pet Adoption

bottomdweller wrote:I was a little confused by the ending, however. Whose big legs are they? Could someone clarify this for me?

I believe Jeremy sees his own legs. I think he has somehow been transformed into one of the great cats of his dreams.

Few things:
Jeremy seemed awfully knowledgeable of things from the human world. Sure he would recognize stuff and make sense of things, but he had such a strong graps of terms and what not, it was sometimes hard for me to really sink my teeth into this cat's-eye view.

Would Jeremy really crave a carcass? My cats tend to prefer fresh kill.

Check out the first sentence:
Jeremy gazes at his shiny orange coat shining in the afternoon sun.

Is the use of shiny and shining intentional? If so, OK, I guess; although there is nothing like this anywhere else in the story. If not, well, I found it distracting, and that's not the effect you want for your first sentence.

Return to July 2009