Feature - Suffering for Art

Tell us what you thought of the July 2009 issue!

Editor Emeritus

Post July 21, 2009, 06:15:35 AM

Feature - Suffering for Art

This feels relevant based on the previous ... "spirited" topics recently. The forum crowd here does a pretty good job of staying civil. But the feature piece hints at the fine line when sometimes spirited hazes over into some ill chosen words.

But the sacchrine alternative of "that's nice" is sometimes even worse. A very special version of this problem is "Small Pond Effect". Suppose the people validating you are giving you their honest opinion. "Man, you're the BOMB at basketball... there ain't anyone on Fourth Street who can take you." That may be true. Then the guy visits someone on Eleventh Ave, and gets smoked.

"What happened??", he wails.

Well, talents run in curves, and there's a level that's good enough to stomp in a small pond, but gets mashed when an even more talented champ from a wider area shows up. Prodigies aside, I feel if you can develop the perspective to both celebrate what talent you have, and know when it's out of its depth, it smooths things out.

Master Critic

Post July 21, 2009, 09:58:09 PM

faster gun

as the subject heading says , there is always a faster gun. that's life. You do the best you can with the tools at hand. Only "you" know if that's the case, win lose or draw.

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post July 22, 2009, 06:48:54 AM

Re: 142nd Fastest Gun

rick tornello wrote:as the subject heading says , there is always a faster gun. that's life. You do the best you can with the tools at hand. Only "you" know if that's the case, win lose or draw.

RT

Dr. Demento Moment!

"141 were faster than he, but he was looking for #143... Irving... 142nd Fastest Gun ... in the West."

Master Critic

Post July 23, 2009, 12:22:51 PM

Re: Feature - Suffering for Art

TaoPhoenix wrote:This feels relevant based on the previous ... "spirited" topics recently.

I thought this Feature was cool and well-timed, also.

I honestly saw the whole thing as a 'spirited' defense of the indefensible. This Forum is the only place I know where this kind of thing goes on. I invite more folks to come out and play. . .it's a lot of fun.

Long live the give-and-take of the Forum!

(Sorry Megawatts, but some of the rest of us get to use the exclamation point, too.)

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Return to July 2009