God Rest Ye, HP Lovecraft by Iain Muir

Tell us what you thought about the April 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post April 25, 2012, 04:09:50 PM

God Rest Ye, HP Lovecraft by Iain Muir

I just wanted to start the conversation on this one: you gotta love Lovecraft. An ancient race long buried in a city beneath the lands of ice, who once the stars are alined will rise up to hold his followers in his dreadful grasp. Lovecraft was the author who got me, gave me nightmares in the wee hours when I was a child.

I like the pace of this poem, but it doesn't capture the horror of a Lovecraftian tale. But as a tip-o-the-hat to the great author, it certainly does the trick admirably. There's a car in the back parking lot that has one of those 'Darwin' magnets with the feet - but this one is shaped like a monster and has the term Cthulhu in the middle. I'll steal it someday soon, when the stars are alined.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Senior Critic

Post April 25, 2012, 07:19:40 PM

Re: God Rest Ye, HP Lovecraft by Iain Muir

One of my all time favorite authors. I've read At the Mountains of Madness three or four times.

gino

Poetry Editor

Post April 26, 2012, 12:35:06 AM

Re: God Rest Ye, HP Lovecraft by Iain Muir

This one came about when I was commuting over the Holidays, reading 'At the Mountains of Madness' on the train. As I came out of the station, the Salvation Army brass band was playing 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen'. I had two verses drafted in my head before I got to the office.
KNEEL before Zod!

Return to April 2012