Through Seven Stars by Evan Sehr

Tell us what you thought about the April 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post April 23, 2012, 09:17:32 PM

Through Seven Stars by Evan Sehr

This is a very well-written story, but it's a bit jarring in the way it ends: there's no denouement; it just stops, right at the peak of its conflict. We know the good guy dies; we presume the bad guy does . . . okay, a tragic balance, but . . . we're conditioned to expect more to an ending than that. As it is, the reader has fallen with the hero and splatted, and that's it. And that violates our conditioned expectation.

If this were printed on paper, I'd be turning the page looking for an epilogue.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post April 24, 2012, 12:38:04 AM

Re: Through Seven Stars by Evan Sehr

Lester Curtis wrote:This is a very well-written story, but it's a bit jarring in the way it ends: there's no denouement; it just stops, right at the peak of its conflict. We know the good guy dies; we presume the bad guy does . . . okay, a tragic balance, but . . . we're conditioned to expect more to an ending than that. As it is, the reader has fallen with the hero and splatted, and that's it. And that violates our conditioned expectation.

If this were printed on paper, I'd be turning the page looking for an epilogue.

I added the line about Hroth looking... smaller... after he lost his amulet. While it was not overtly stated that magic was at work, the fact that Ojin aged from a young man to (apparently) a senior citizen, while Hroth remained seemingly unchanged, led me to believe that in stripping Hroth of his necklace (Ojin would have preferred that he had taken Hroth's head off, but oh well...), Ojin at the very least made him mortal (and vulnerable to his own men, who may have been pretty tired of working for him), and at best may have caused the decades to catch up with him. At least that's the way I would like to interpret it.

(Also, the Soprano family got a nice surprise when the goons from a rival faction delivered a lovely retirement gift for Tony -- tickets for a round-the-world cruise and the keys to a new house in Florida! Hey, fade to black could mean that, right?)

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post May 06, 2012, 02:35:27 PM

I agree with Lester. It was well written, but it read like an excerpt from a longer work. I am looking for one of Heinlein's three stories---Brave Little Tailor, Man Who Learned Better, Boy Meets Girl---and I do not find one. There is a suggestion that it will be Brave Little Tailor plus Man Who Learned Better---but for all we know, the hero may be the one who learns better when he dies and nothing really changes.

Master Critic

Post May 14, 2012, 05:19:15 PM

The writer possesses some excellent skill. His prose flows naturally, the scenes vivid, sometimes even brutal. I found the first paragraph reminding me of Raymond Chandler (Phillip Marlowe). It’s not easy throwing out a long description, especially right off the bat, yet it works here. Again, the talent is very evident.

I echo the sentiments of the piece seeming incomplete. The sword seems to function solely as a plot device. I think more backstory to better integrate the sword would have been better, but that’s also true for a number of elements in the story. Nevertheless, the story works for me. I found it to be a good read.
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Return to April 2012