Like...Chicken by Jason Sturner

Tell us what you thought about the April 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post April 22, 2012, 12:16:12 AM

Like...Chicken by Jason Sturner

I like this story . . . the author has a talent for evoking sentiments that are simultaneously vague and deep, and not revealing just how he does it. Nice job of descriptive prose, too.

I especially liked:
And as I "drifted" past cities inhabited by myriad life forms, unbound by time and bursting with every known wavelength of light, I began to feel something akin to homesickness -- all of it was somehow familiar to me. It was as if I'd been to those places before, had once encountered those same beings; yet, I couldn't seem to figure when, because every time a memory came it would be gone before my mind could catch it.

Is there a message here? Not really, I don't think, but rather than 'short and to the point,' this story was more 'short and to the question.' Very provocative.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post May 06, 2012, 02:22:55 PM

Re: Like...Chicken by Jason Sturner

I liked the story, too. However, I thought the weakest part was the description of the dream. It is very hard to name the unnameable.

Master Critic

Post May 12, 2012, 01:45:23 PM

I found this to be a pleasurable read. There was some good humor throughout, and the line ‘Get a job!’ made me laugh outright. The pacing seemed right, and the length of the story was appropriate for the theme. I also liked the closing line. It tied it up neatly with the beginning.

The only recommendation is rewording the phrase ‘...like some strange, newborn fetish.’ Newborn is an adjective, but it’s also a noun. That’s disturbing on every level imaginable.
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Master Critic

Post May 13, 2012, 08:51:41 PM

Jaimie wrote:The only recommendation is rewording the phrase ‘...like some strange, newborn fetish.’ Newborn is an adjective, but it’s also a noun. That’s disturbing on every level imaginable.

I agree, Jamie. This one was good.

This one is a bit disturbing? Agreed and agreed, again.

As a matter of fact. . .this was a little snippet of literature. (Should I have capitalized that??)

The vagueness of the imagery was both profound, and necessary. Mister Sturner is a better writer than the narrator. Which is perfect. He was telling us that this experience defies any attempt at description. No matter how many first-person narratives you read. . . .you will never understand the feeling you get when you see your first child born. Ever. You just gotta' be there. . . .

Some things transcend words and render them poor attempts at conveyance. Somehow, Mr. Sturner made this work.

Even the 'tastes like chicken' helps, in this one. Because none of the things that are supposed to do so. . .really do.

Excellent work.

It bears re-reading and a modicum of thought.

Bill Wolfe

p.s.
Syntax, spelling and grammar are absolutely perfect.
'Tis a rare and wonderful thing to see the semicolon properly used.
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Return to April 2012