Forbidden Archaeology... By Sergio Palumbo

Tell us what you thought about the December 2011 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post December 25, 2011, 03:47:59 PM

Forbidden Archaeology... By Sergio Palumbo

This is another quite worthy addition to the Mare series . . . the plot is especially good, involving an artifact that the Immortals would just as soon not have around. The action all happens within a very short time span, and the background story is brought out nicely. Pacing and dialog are good, and the characters are nicely developed. There are some sneaky twists and turns in the interaction, too, which I liked, but I'd say that technological tricks came close to being overused, and for a moment, I had a little difficulty figuring out which character was speaking, but not much.

All told, quite good.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post December 25, 2011, 08:26:03 PM

Re: Forbidden Archaeology... By Sergio Palumbo

Thank you, indeed!!!

And thanks to Michele DUTCHER who edited the final draft, very kindly!!! :D

The world of Dan Hollifield's "Mare Inebrium" is so good and well portrayed, for sure very inspirational to me, I've already written down six stories' plot more for some future tales, who knows...eh,eh...but I don't think I would find enough time to complete more than one per year...eh,eh

Maybe the next one in 2012 will show something new and weird, so far I've only written down the title "The recurring customer is always right..." and a brief draft, who knows...eh,eh :wink:

Master Critic

Post December 31, 2011, 06:48:28 PM

I particularly enjoyed the way this tale gave a nod to a timespan of millions of years develop in civilizations that arose, fell, or advanced. The description of the bar and its customers was excellent, and the plot had fun twists that were unexpected. Ente per ente is a fun author to edit for - his mind is always so fertile with new ideas. Enjoyed the tale, indeed (eh,eh).
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Senior Editor

Post January 02, 2012, 01:17:39 PM

I had only one continuity problem with this story, and choose to let it slide. After all, the Mare series already contains several different timelines for this very reason.

What was the continuity error, you ask? Um, in the main sequence Mare Inebrium timeline, up until the year 3068 AD Bethdish and its entire solar system was located in the Andromeda galaxy, not in our Milky Way galaxy. So the millions of years of past history of Bethdish took place in Andromeda. The Mare Inebrium itself didn't open for business until 3711 AD. But that's quite all right. Many years ago in one of my early Collector's Museum stories, I established a variant timeline that has Bethdish always having been in the Milky Way. There are at least seven other timelines that different writers have spun off of my main sequence line.

My rule is "If a story is so good that I'd ruin it by demanding strict adherence to the official timeline, then the story stands as is and another variant timeline is established." http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/series/mare/timeline.html

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Master Critic

Post January 03, 2012, 03:41:08 AM

Well said...eh,eh!!! :D

The more the possible variants allowed and the more the fun and the possibilities for different plots inded!!! :!:

Return to December 2011