Master Apprentice by Todd Nelson

Tells us what you think about the November 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Commenter

Post November 22, 2011, 10:19:01 AM

Master Apprentice by Todd Nelson

I liked the tone and flow of this story, though I like a little more violence in my fantasy reads. It reminded me strongly of a part in the game Oblivion, where the hero enters a winter world to collect the frozen tears from a giant encased in ice. He, too, enters through a doorway from a tower. Good job. Write more.
"Don't look back--something might be gaining on you!"

Critic

Post December 01, 2011, 07:19:20 PM

Re: Master Apprentice by Todd Nelson

I agree the story flowed well. Simple, to the point, but full of character. Don't play with things you don't understand describes it well.
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”
-Mark Twain

Editor Emeritus

Post December 01, 2011, 08:02:41 PM

Re: Master Apprentice by Todd Nelson

Iskoday wrote:I agree the story flowed well. Simple, to the point, but full of character. Don't play with things you don't understand describes it well.

Alas, Tea Party members THINK they understand EVERYTHING.

The wiseass familiar is, of course, a tribute to Githros in my Al Majius stories...

Just kidding. The odds that Todd has read any of those stories are sadly rather low. And Githros is probably based on what's-his-name, the "demon" (short for extra-dimensional being) from Perv (not a Pervert, a PerVECT!) in one of Robert Asprin's series...

What's a mouse-sized and shaped familiar to do when his wizard may have gotten himself vaporized? Why, raid the kitchen, of course!

(This is another stand-alone story that I suggested be "To be continued", because I want to know what happens to both mouse-familiar and not-too-bright apprentice.)

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to November 2011