Thank God It's Not Me by Ray Prew

Tells us what you think about the November 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post November 20, 2011, 07:58:46 PM

Thank God It's Not Me by Ray Prew

I can't help it - Zombie stories are like candy to me, so I always read them first. This one is about the clusters that have developed since the zombies started rising from the dead - I liked that. Before I forget - there's one part where a the twins are left in dead in a parking lot "leavening" them behind. I guess if you're a zombie, a real dead guy might be 'leavening' in the sun, but I figure it's a typo.
It surprises me that anyone could have anything new to say about zombies, but there are some new thoughts about the post-apocolyptic system that arises.
The story wasn't revolutionary, but it was entertaining and raised a few good ideas that made the story feel real. I liked it - fun read - but zombies are kinda my thing, ever since I became one...eh,eh...just playing peeps.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Long Fiction Editor

Post November 21, 2011, 12:17:33 AM

Re: Thank God It's Not Me by Ray Prew

Any half-decent zombie story is fun, and this one is too -- fun, I mean -- and a little better than half-decent, at that.

Some nice original touches, like whacking a Z over the head with a board.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Critic

Post November 21, 2011, 02:06:08 PM

Re: Thank God It's Not Me by Ray Prew

Nice and simple is what I can sum this up as; kind of what I was looking for this morning. The writting felt a bit elementary, but since it's a journal, was this deliberate? Otherwise it came off very brutal and cynical, fitting a post-zombie apocalypse world.

I liked the little shout outs to Romero, like the burnt out farm houses and the mall.
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”
-Mark Twain

Return to November 2011