Deadpool by Jackson French

Tell us what you thought about the October 2011 issue

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post October 15, 2011, 03:07:35 PM

Deadpool by Jackson French

Ultra modern and edgy.

I have just noticed again how few emails have made it into stories! Yet they are one of the top five electronic written communication forms of our kind.

This story also takes a stab at the Reality Entertainment theme, with each new incarnation needing to be grittier than the last to hold our fast-fading attention.

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2011, 09:32:07 AM

Re: Deadpool by Jackson French

This was a great Monday morning story – kind of puts life/death/job/taxes into perspective. I liked trying to figure out the soon-to-be-dead celebs were. I think some might have been: Shane (That Woman’s Got me Drinkin’) MacGowan; and Pat Robertson; and Bernie Madoff, maybe? And Lohan – come on, that’s too easy.

I haven’t heard of this pool before – are people really doing this?

The overall plot reminded me of an old saying: ‘Two men can keep a secret – if one of them is dead.’

I expected a different ending completely – so I was happily surprised by the plot twist.
Nicely done. Very funny.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Editor Emeritus

Post October 17, 2011, 12:45:58 PM

I was surprised that (a) the two guys didn't think of wishing EACH OTHER dead (I guess $500 wasn't enough of an incentive), and (b) it never occurred to any of the fountain-wise that they might wish for something OTHER than somebody's death...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Critic

Post October 17, 2011, 01:21:49 PM

It did seem to be a rather specific 'Fountain of death' type wishing well/pool. It's character (decrepit, brackish and foul) was in keeping with that.

It is, no doubt, packed up and being transported to Warehouse 13 as we debate it here in the forums.

8)
Doggerel is a derogatory term for verse considered of little literary value.

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2011, 01:25:17 PM

I like your avatar. I have a border collie named "Miss Dukes". As far as never knowing if someone is a dog online - I follow one simple rule: all men are dogs. Ah-wooooooo! Easy, breezy.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Editor Emeritus

Post October 22, 2011, 03:07:38 AM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:... (b) it never occurred to any of the fountain-wise that they might wish for something OTHER than somebody's death...

I assumed this part was handled "off camera". "Cool, if it works for murder, will it work for money? No? Bah okay."

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 27, 2011, 10:10:52 PM

Nice job keeping the tension and suspense going -- and then letting one of the 'victims' recover instead of dying. Get the reader all wired up, and then relax them for the surprise.

This idea has other avenues to explore . . . like, what if the fountain has a limited capacity? Nobody bothered to figure out all the rules applying to the fountain, after all . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post October 27, 2011, 11:04:38 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:
Robert_Moriyama wrote:... (b) it never occurred to any of the fountain-wise that they might wish for something OTHER than somebody's death...

I assumed this part was handled "off camera". "Cool, if it works for murder, will it work for money? No? Bah okay."

...I meant something altruistic, like "I wish Pat Robertson would have a REAL epiphany and realize what an incredible ass he is!" (I know, it's silly of me to hope that an actual human being might do something noble.)

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to October 2011