Wolfsbane by Mike Berger

Tell us what you thought about the October 2011 issue

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 15, 2011, 01:11:55 AM

Wolfsbane by Mike Berger

I ran out of breath laughing at this thing -- it's that good!

Read it!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post October 15, 2011, 06:36:18 PM

Re: Wolfsbane by Mike Berger

Yes rather funny.

I first I thought it was going to be another fucking moon stalking, human-dog gut rendering story poem.

Ha, was I fooled.

Ah yes, ladies in distress, a warning, do not mess!
(batteries not included)

Master Critic

Post October 16, 2011, 06:48:53 PM

I need further information - I looked on Wikipedia and it doesn't talk about the wolfman having any sexual attributes - is that what it is? - like women are supposed to like to f*^k large dogs are something? What? ??? I don't get it.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post October 16, 2011, 09:20:48 PM

bottom boozer, you need to drink better beer, that crap you ingest is fogging up what little you have, you are so off base. It's a sort of joke.

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2011, 07:40:17 AM

What's the joke? I don't get it. It's obvious that men fantasize about having sex with sheep - do men think that women want to have sex with wolves? I don't get it.
Maybe it's like the women in the town wanted to have sex with a wildman - but I've seen werewolf movies and werewolves will tear your arms off. I don't get it - but the men obviously do. What's the joke? - let us women in on it.

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2011, 08:25:17 AM

yes to the idea of a wildman, a rainy day man, a back door creeper, a horney on the side (HOTS), call when you need a date,( played those roles in my past life, it was the 1970's 80's ), not necessarily a tear your arms off wolf. So I can see it.

The character was "fixed" and the local female population that were his clients were pissed. That's not difficult to understand. Maybe the story is an allegory for what's being done to all the children in today's america. Everyone is afraid to do this or that or be boys and take chances, be loud, and so their fixed, altered, and become mental eunuchs.

Bottom, sometimes you're a stick in the mud.

I do think you take umbrage rather quickly on perceived slights to your sex and the roles or victimization you assume to be suggested.

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2011, 09:36:30 AM

I know how attracted men are to sheep and other farm animals, so I guess a joke about how women like to bong cannines is about the same. Yeah, real funny. And yes, I'm a stick in the mud when it comes to beastialty. I've seen too many men snicker at a woman walking a dobberman pincher, for instance...but not many men snicker at a woman walking a pitbull, ergo.

Critic

Post October 17, 2011, 09:49:04 AM

Oh Wow!

I took it to mean that the women were mightily pissed off that they no longer regularly had a night free of their troublesome menfolk, as they didn't have to go out and contain/catch the werewolf once a month.

I don't think I've ever seen an example of "werewolf == sexy", but then again, I don't read fan-fic.

:shock:
Doggerel is a derogatory term for verse considered of little literary value.

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2011, 11:11:17 AM

werewolf as sexy ?

Werewolves Of London Warren Zevon

"His hair was perfect!"

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2011, 01:37:10 PM

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vics - and his hair was perfect! Ah-oooooo! Werewolves of London. Play it loud. The Rage version, not the Grateful Dead version.

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 17, 2011, 01:51:23 PM

Verse wrote:Oh Wow!

I took it to mean that the women were mightily pissed off that they no longer regularly had a night free of their troublesome menfolk, as they didn't have to go out and contain/catch the werewolf once a month.

Very perceptive . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2011, 02:56:42 PM

I'll stick with my analysis. Sometimes one writes not aware of the message inserted into the vessel.

Let's hear from the poet!!

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post October 22, 2011, 03:13:41 AM

rick tornello wrote:The character was "fixed" and the local female population that were his clients were pissed. That's not difficult to understand. Maybe the story is an allegory for what's being done to all the children in today's america. Everyone is afraid to do this or that or be boys and take chances, be loud, and so their fixed, altered, and become mental eunuchs.

Yes, brilliant punchline! I was in fact so fooled that I didn't even finish the poem the first time when I looked at it tired!

But not "just a wildman", take it at face value, it slides into Rated R. It can definitely be interpreted at the allegorical level as well.

Return to October 2011