Operation Jupiter by James O'Sullivan

Tell us what you thought about the June/July 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post July 11, 2011, 01:55:57 PM

Operation Jupiter by James O'Sullivan

I found this one a little confusing, to say the least. I think I could follow what seemed to have happened, but I’m not sure.

Mr. O’Sullivan spends a lot of his 3000 words on different theories as to how the bacteria/squids found themselves on Europa when they apparently originated on the ‘moon’ Ceres. Since the only Ceres I know about is an asteroid that is sometimes somewhat near Jupiter. . . .I still wasn’t sure what was going on.

As commentary on transhumanism, it was chilling. The mechanism of this transition was vague, to say the least. It seemed to be some kind of space disease that allowed people to be turned into cyborg/AI supersoldiers.

Maybe others can explain this one a little better.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Long Fiction Editor

Post July 12, 2011, 07:57:27 PM

Re: Operation Jupiter by James O'Sullivan

Ditto on that thing about Ceres. The author should have given more thought to explaining where the aliens came from -- or simply left it out. I'd have done the first.

What makes this story is the prejudice angle, pure and simple, and that part of it works.

Secondarily, our tendency to militarize any new thing we find, no matter what it is. Don't ask me to look, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has re-purposed "My Little Pony" as a weapons platform.

Finally, I have to give the writer kudos for making the story work as well as it did with no more dialog than it had in it. Total number of speaking parts: three, and one of them with a grand total of three words.

It works, mostly . . . just needs a little more clarity in spots.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to June/July 2011