Nightscreams By Kurt Heinrich Hyatt

Tell us what you thought about the June/July 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

CCC

Senior Critic

Post July 08, 2011, 08:28:28 AM

Nightscreams By Kurt Heinrich Hyatt

This story is in the index twice, for some reason...

Interesting story. However; we know where the creature came from, and possibly how the portal got there; but why did the creature keep going back before it closed? Why didn't it stay around on our side for a bit? And, more importantly... why did the pictures get paid so much for, when one can probably get a similar effect with any modern image editing software if one knows how to use it?

Long Fiction Editor

Post July 12, 2011, 04:25:53 PM

Re: Nightscreams By Kurt Heinrich Hyatt

why did the pictures get paid so much for, when one can probably get a similar effect with any modern image editing software if one knows how to use it?
You're not supposed to think of that. I didn't.

Not too bad. The only error I really noticed was near the end, when "mike" isn't capitalized.

No matter. Blanca's photos capitalized both of them.

Now -- now that they've closed the park and given out a cover story -- who wants to bet there won't be a contingent of military at that area next time the weather gets nasty? With missiles?
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Critic

Post July 12, 2011, 06:35:09 PM

Re: Nightscreams By Kurt Heinrich Hyatt

CCC wrote: but why did the creature keep going back before it closed? Why didn't it stay around on our side for a bit?

An answer to this question on alien psychology is probably beyond the scope of the story. It might require a study of the predatory habits of cingulatum transmundialis over a considerable period of time.
CCC wrote:And, more importantly... why did the pictures get paid so much for, when one can probably get a similar effect with any modern image editing software if one knows how to use it?

Visual media are quite important nowadays. The ability to enhance, modify or forge images in fact predates recent electronic media. Yet pictures have been boughtand sold all the time. And should not the first genuine picture of an alien be of some worth? Reguarding the genuine part it is sufficient to convince essentally one person, I would assume. Possibly not even convince as gambling is not only done in the stock market.

Return to June/July 2011