A Confidential Correspondence . . . by P. F. White

Tell us what you thought about the June/July 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post July 06, 2011, 11:21:34 AM

A Confidential Correspondence . . . by P. F. White

This is an absolute HOOT!

Read this; it's REALLY funny!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

CCC

Senior Critic

Post July 08, 2011, 08:14:04 AM

Re: A Confidential Correspondence . . . by P. F. White

Ooooh, very well done indeed. It can be difficult to write a story in letters (I know, I've tried) but you pulled it off masterfully. I particularly enjoyed that little twist at the end.

Editor Emeritus

Post July 08, 2011, 09:53:51 AM

CCC wrote:Ooooh, very well done indeed. It can be difficult to write a story in letters (I know, I've tried) but you pulled it off masterfully. I particularly enjoyed that little twist at the end.

Obviously, the sister was no less competitive than her brothers... but she was smarter.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post July 12, 2011, 01:04:31 PM

A Confidential Correspondent

I enjoyed reading this story of fictional brothers controlling the building of the transcontinental railroad. It really is entertaining – especially the way that the past can be inferred as the tale goes along.

This story’s brothers reminded me of the demons in the Screwtape Letters, intent on amassing souls by any means possible – just as the brothers are intent on amassing wealth, no matter how many need to die. However, just as The Screwtape Letters had a deeper meaning – I wonder if it wouldn’t be a good idea to look at a deeper meaning behind this story.

In America today, 400 people possess 50% of the wealth. 400 Kings and Queens who have no regard for the 80% of us who are fighting tooth and nail over 7% of the wealth left over. 400 Kings and Queens who would rather see money stripped away from old people receiving $800 a month – rather than allow a nickel to escape their grasp through new taxes. Newsflash from the Other America: The trickle-down theory of economics hasn’t worked and will never work as long as there are people in charge whose consciences are as lacking as the brothers in this story.

Throughout history there have been two methods of redistribution of the wealth when things got this bad: disease (to be read: the Red Death, which effectively ended the feudal system in one fell swoop) and revolution. We’ve seen the Middle East go up in flames recently, one despot after another being ousted from control. Can our uncaring Monarchy fare better in the face of global economic disaster?

What of the other 43% of the wealth? – it is in the hands of the remaining 19% of the population. Whether through disease or revolution, this class of people will simply be a temporary buffer for the 400, against vengeance crawling out of the gutter to claim it’s due.

It’s true that most people still have their heads in the trough, gobbling up whatever scraps are thrown from the table of these 400. But, eventually, others besides the Bottomdweller may raise their head long enough to see the feast that rightfully belongs to all of us, not just these Kings.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Commenter

Post July 12, 2011, 01:21:36 PM

loved this one!!! so FUNNY! funny stories are my FAVORITE kind!!! and I've always loved reading stories in letter/journal form. Great work!
don't let reality ruin your day

Micro SD Card
Pet insurance

Return to June/July 2011