Nature by Eric Victor Neagu

Tell us what you thought about the May 2011 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post May 30, 2011, 08:50:30 PM

Excellent piece of horror . . . it just builds and builds. Nice that the author left out the conclusion.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post June 01, 2011, 08:58:13 AM

All I can say to this one is. . .wow!

No kidding. It's as good as anything I've ever read by anyone, anywhere.

Eric, please tell me you shopped this out to Asimov's, or maybe GQ or Playboy. This is one of those stories that will haunt me for a while.

The pacing, the slow development of the weirdness and even using the car as an ancillary character are all absolutely brilliant in both technique and delivery. Some (but not all) Stephen King stories do what yours does.

I wish I could write like that.

Excellent.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 01, 2011, 09:44:36 AM

Re: Nature by Eric Victor Neagu

I also want to add that I liked the way you used the character's novel-writing project . . . the way it got between the couple and eroded their relationship also added to the story. It also seems to become a parallel theme, with the story taking over the man, while the baby (whatever from hell it was) taking over the woman. They both kinda get the life sucked out of them by the things inside each of them, and neither one is finished when the story ends. Subtle depth in that.

As I've said before, horror stories don't usually affect me, but this one stuck in my head a little more than usual. The visual descriptions are terrific, too.

I'm with Bill -- this is career-grade material.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Critic

Post June 03, 2011, 06:24:02 PM

Great work, good job at building up the tension. Ending was creepy as hell; and enjoyed how it wasn't explained, making it more horrifying as to what happened.. At first I thought it might have been a ghost possession or something, but it felt very Lovecraftian at its conclusion. Again, great job. Two thumbs up!
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”
-Mark Twain

Master Critic

Post June 06, 2011, 09:45:20 AM

What an EERIE, EERIE story that was crafted very well. I can say this story soared above most others that I have read, lately.

I liked how narration was used more than dialogue, yet the showing came through.

In the beginning paragraph, the scene of the lake and it’s isolation engages our imagination towards an uncanny or even creepy setting by not using phrase likes ‘a beautiful lake’ or ‘quaint picturesque cabin’ or ‘deer meandering along the shore.’ I like that almost as a foreshadowing.

All through this story good techniques and superb language can be found. This guy can write!! :lol:
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to May 2011