Barrow Ben by Christopher Owen

Tell us what you thought about the May 2011 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 04, 2011, 04:22:16 PM

Barrow Ben by Christopher Owen

Not too bad, as fantasies go . . . a little clunky, and a little melodramatic -- especially with the early dialog. The story line was fairly intricate, though, and the setting was very good. At least the characters were mortal.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post June 29, 2011, 12:41:51 PM

Re: Barrow Ben by Christopher Owen

I finally got to this one, and I liked it.

As Lester says, it's a little formulaic in plot, but it's got some comprehensive descriptive elements which give all the characters a unique set of limitations and a sense of 'belonging' to the story. No single character is quite like they are depicted, elsewhere.

The dialogue is absolutely excellent inasmuch as each character has his/her own voice, and each speaks at least a little bit differently.

There were a few inconsistencies such as:

"Right. Better to sneak up slow to get the honey, than awaken the whole nest of hornets."

(Honey hornets? Maybe, but everything else in the story seems to be earth standard. . . .)

And at one point the sword Ben had been given somehow became a dagger, but these were minor distractions.

The story certainly kept my attention, and I wasn't sure what was going to happen until very near the end.

I highly recommend this tale.

Good job, Mr. Owen.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Return to May 2011