Pretty little Foxes by Lester Curtis

Tell us what you thought about the April 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post April 20, 2011, 09:52:54 PM

Pretty little Foxes by Lester Curtis

First person stories always get the reader into them. This story is more of a scene or act focused on and taken from a larger story or possibly an epic.

Are the foxes good looking girls? They just might be. Is the narrator drunk or high? He just might be! Would I like to be in that castle? Hell yes, as long as I had my 8MM Mauser, or my 30-30. And a bottle of wine just in case. The guns are just for protection and nothing else.

I like it as it stands. Can’t find anything to nit-pick about.
Tesla Lives!!!

Master Critic

Post April 23, 2011, 07:42:04 PM

Re: Pretty little Foxes by Lester Curtis

This short tale is so crisp, so easy to read - I love it! Unlike Megawatts, however, I don't see the foxes as pretty women, rather as shape shifters - and I wonder if the man they're playing in the field with is actually the man in the castle.
There are many ancient societies who believe, under unbearable circumstances, the soul leaves the body and watches from a distance. In the book Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge - Castaneda describes being able to watch himself from 3 feet in back of his body. In more modern society, you can see this in an individual with multiple personalities.
Nicely done, Lester.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Long Fiction Editor

Post April 23, 2011, 10:20:14 PM

Thank you both for you nice comments.
Would I like to be in that castle? Hell yes, as long as I had my 8MM Mauser, or my 30-30. And a bottle of wine just in case.
It might help if your bullets were silver and/or you substituted holy water for that vino. They're lycanthropes.

I submitted this one for the Halloween challenge, but it got booted because the evil beasties weren't traditional werewolves.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post April 23, 2011, 10:39:59 PM

I didn't know what a lycanthropes was. I Looked up. interesting!
Tesla Lives!!!

Critic

Post May 02, 2011, 05:54:35 AM

Sweet, short, and weird. Even though it's just a brief look in the narrator's problem, it was a good read. I usually don't write 1st person, but I like how in some ways, and IMO, it can simplify the writing process and really get into a character's thoughts and actions more thoroughly then 3rd person, especially in the protagonist's case of him not being all there, so to speak. Like your stuff Lester, good work.
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”
-Mark Twain

Master Critic

Post May 03, 2011, 09:22:06 AM

I submitted this one for the Halloween challenge, but it got booted because the evil beasties weren't traditional werewolves.[/quote]
There are so many good stories that start out as 'flash challenge' pieces and then are submitted elsewhere, that perhaps we should start referring to the Flash Challenge as 'the Womb'...where great stories are born.
In fact, my Flash Contest story, Mechanical Failure, is scheduled to be published in Quantum Muse on May 16th. And it would never have been written without Nate's worded torture chamber.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Return to April 2011