I’m Sorry, But… by Stuart Sharp

Tell us what you thought about the April 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post April 20, 2011, 11:29:15 AM

I’m Sorry, But… by Stuart Sharp

I really like this poem . . . it just makes me smile. Very nicely done.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post April 27, 2011, 04:19:00 PM

Re: I’m Sorry, But… by Stuart Sharp

Whether we're talking about individuals or civilizations, age tends to bring on a mellowing perspective. Perhaps it's wisdom - or a tempered boredom - but dramatic tastes fade from pitchblack to pastel, as a part of life. Why do we say 'He turned bad" - but never "He turned good..." Nice poem. Comforting, though thought provoking.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post April 27, 2011, 07:48:07 PM

The whole world should take a lesson from this poem, but not to be, history shows, except for Ashoka there have been few warrior/rulers to turn away from that path when they were able, and not as old feeble men seeking forgiveness for their youthful deeds.

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post May 01, 2011, 01:33:20 AM

bottomdweller wrote:Whether we're talking about individuals or civilizations, age tends to bring on a mellowing perspective. Perhaps it's wisdom - or a tempered boredom - but dramatic tastes fade from pitchblack to pastel, as a part of life.

In a way this is part sad and dangerous, in with the more obvious virtues. Done wrong, the sparks of youth fade, but *before the cohesion of wisdom* sets in! Then you get someone existentially distraught, and if they don't have the vocabulary to express it, they might go a little crazy inside!

I used to like the Puttering Scientist style collections of components. In my case, my speciality was Second Wave non-iPod mp3 players, with a backup collection of cut rate computers serving as a no-risk environment to make a few learners mistakes about general computing.

Suddenly things shifted about two years ago, and now it's all I can do to concentrate at all. It's an in between phase where I have to pick fewer more enduring interests and shift gears from inspired puttering to creating an arc of transforming my hobby studies into an "exported" form for an audience (see that Feature again!)

For some ten years I wished I could have lived in a future-urban Johnny Mnemonic setting, but I can't hold the tension anymore, so I'm vacillating a lot trying to decide how to live with being "dull".

Return to April 2011