Report On The Recent Excavations At Norwich by David Barber

Tell us what you thought about the April 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post April 20, 2011, 11:10:56 AM

Report On The Recent Excavations At Norwich by David Barber

I like this one a lot . . . future archaeologists speculating, not quite correctly, on our lives. I immediately wonder what they'd think of my house . . .

Very nicely done.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post April 20, 2011, 01:23:18 PM

Re: Report On The Recent Excavations At Norwich by David Bar

I enjoyed thinking about the idea behind the work. How many things do we get wrong? Look at all our myths that we swear by.

And relating to the work itself, the method of taking the current society in which one lives and stepping outside and looking back in, takes some doing. This poem is at a first level analysis. Not bad at all.
However, and this is a "BILL WOLFISM", the copper pipes would have a buildup of the crud in the water supply. And unless it disappeared, a scientist would know it carried water.

However, the idea was good, and being a poem, a lot of leeway is given to the art as opposed to the "facts".

RT

Commenter

Post April 22, 2011, 08:23:18 PM

A subject handled at greater length by David Macauley in his Motel of the Mysteries (quite) a while back. It's really amazing what archaeologists try to get away with wuth all of their bafflegab and attributions.
Slainte Mhath!

Master Critic

Post April 22, 2011, 09:31:07 PM

Speaking of backward looking, I've been reading a bit of P. Dick these last few weeks, especially his early short stories. He can take that step outside, view the situation , and then produce quite a good piece as in PROJECT EARTH (GENESIS), A SURFACE RAID (HG WELLS THE TIME MACHINE from the point of the Morlocks.)

I have only read a few of his pieces in the past. I'm taken by his work, especially his real short pieces.

The poem has the same effect and affect on me.

Master Critic

Post April 23, 2011, 06:59:18 PM

When I was in college in the 1970s, I took an Archeology 101 course that had a drawing of an "ancient discovery". It was a motel, with the bathroom marked as "Inner Sanctum". My teacher laughed and jumped into a discussion about how the pop-a-top on coke/beer cans would help to date future digs.
Nothing is new, David Macauley.
I liked it that this poem was a little deeper - "You wonder if she was loved or ever loved" "not trusting the dark" (so true - although the night takes up 1/2 of each day).
One day we will all pass away - and we won't give a darn.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post May 17, 2011, 01:36:29 PM

rick tornello wrote:However, and this is a "BILL WOLFISM", the copper pipes would have a buildup of the crud in the water supply.

Rick,

Pretty sure that 'traces of copper worming through the walls' was electrical wiring. If they don't use it in the future, maybe they wouldn't know what it was.

But they'd have to be pretty darn advanced not to use electricity.

Now THAT, my son, is a Bill Wolfeism. . .

I liked the poem, as well. I liked the uncertainty of the first few lines, where you weren't quite sure they weren't dealing with a pre-Roman era dwelling.

Quite good.

Bill
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Commenter

Post May 19, 2011, 06:01:54 PM

Lack of copper wire does not preclude the use of electricity! How long ago was N. Tesla working on 'broadcast power'?
Slainte Mhath!

Return to April 2011