GOBBLEDYGOOK By R. Fay

Tell us what you thought about the April 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post April 19, 2011, 11:00:40 PM

GOBBLEDYGOOK By R. Fay

very funny, I like it a lot, a bit of Mad Hatter, NO? I'm going to commit it to memory it and repeat it to my granddaughters. My step-daughter will then have me committed. She thinks I'm nuts enough already.
Thanks.

RT

Senior Critic

Post April 20, 2011, 10:13:14 AM

Re: GOBBLEDYGOOK By R. Fay

Mad? Maybe yes. Maybe no. I was actually inspired, at first, by the Vogon poetry from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (note the gobbledygook in the poem that Jeltz reads prior to having Arthur and Ford thrown out of the airlock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogon#Poetry). Being inspired by such dreck may be mad indeed.

Of course, I ended up writing something (hopefully) not quite as dreadful as Vogon poetry. In the end, I opted for a fairly straightforward romantic piece, with nonsense words thrown in for effect. Replace the nonsense words with real words (like Hawaii instead of Nagoogoo, or red hibiscus instead of crimson syton), and it goes from madly speculative to rather mundane.

If it rhymed, it could be an example of nonsense verse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonsense_verse. Perhaps it is nonsense verse even though it doesn't rhyme. After all, I did use a lot of made up words in this one. I'm most proud of this line: "While the bumox skip across the fwa", because of the word "fwa". Not only is it a made-up word, it also contains a combination of letters that you don't really find in English.

By the way, referencing the Mad Hatter is interesting, since Lewis Carroll is listed among the writers noted for nonsense verse. I may have drawn inspiration from "Jabberwocky", if not consciously, then subconsciously.

Thanks for the comments! I hope your granddaughters enjoy the poem!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

Master Critic

Post April 20, 2011, 10:26:57 AM

I picked up on the romantic aspect throughout the poem on the first go round last night.

That's one of my issues with prose, I think like a poet when I write and expect the readers to expect that they will have to make the jumps when reading. I know I do all the time which is why some of the things that torques Bill would never in a million years bother me. For example, if someone had the speed of light incorrectly stated, I would notice, but I would get the idea and keep moving. My boxers would not get in a bunch about it.

Thanks,
RT

Long Fiction Editor

Post April 20, 2011, 11:19:57 AM

I'm most proud of this line: "While the bumox skip across the fwa", because of the word "fwa". Not only is it a made-up word, it also contains a combination of letters that you don't really find in English.
Not commonly, maybe, but -- "fwa" is part of "awful" spelled backwards . . . also part of "halfway."

I don't get much fun out of nonsense words . . . a girlfriend of mine used to like to call me a "stick in the mud."

Still, nice job. You have indeed taken a mundane verse and enlivened it with fantasy.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Senior Critic

Post April 20, 2011, 12:09:26 PM

Halfway is a compound word, made from two different words. The syllable break is between the f and the w; they aren't one syllabic unit. Halfway doesn't really give you the same sound as fwa. For that to happen, "halfway" would have to be broken into syllables something like this: hal - fwa - y. (I guess I should have specified "fwa" as a syllable you don't really find in English.)

As for awful spelled backwards, you can get all sorts of weird combinations when gnilleps sdrawkcab.

I wouldn't write nonsense verse as a rule (I might truly be thought mad if I did), but "Wondrous Gobbledygook" was fun to write.

Editor Emeritus

Post May 01, 2011, 01:17:28 AM

I am surprised that you started with a Vogon inspiration. The first thing to come to my mind is the Mimsy Were the Borogoves story.

Broadly, we are calling it "nonsense" here, but any advanced concept becomes indistinguishable from nonsense, before you can get it working enough to be magic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimsy_Were_the_Borogoves

And someone managed to put the story online too.

http://mimsyweretheborogoves.webs.com/

P.s. Yikes, we're coming up on the 70th Anniversaries of those Golden Age stories!

Long Fiction Editor

Post May 01, 2011, 12:11:18 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:I am surprised that you started with a Vogon inspiration. The first thing to come to my mind is the Mimsy Were the Borogoves story.

Broadly, we are calling it "nonsense" here, but any advanced concept becomes indistinguishable from nonsense, before you can get it working enough to be magic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimsy_Were_the_Borogoves

And someone managed to put the story online too.

http://mimsyweretheborogoves.webs.com/

P.s. Yikes, we're coming up on the 70th Anniversaries of those Golden Age stories!

Wow, I loved that story! Thanks for the delightful gift.

It's May Day, by the way; we should all be out doing absurd and/or vaguely obscene things with trees.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post May 01, 2011, 07:22:26 PM

twas brillig, and the slithy toves - with a twist of romance. Sweet!!
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Senior Critic

Post May 02, 2011, 12:16:09 AM

TaoPhoenix wrote:I am surprised that you started with a Vogon inspiration. The first thing to come to my mind is the Mimsy Were the Borogoves story.

I can get a spark of inspiration from a source, but then go off in a different direction. Re-watching Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and hearing some of the nonsense words in the Vogon poetry struck the match that lit the flame of inspiration for this piece. It obviously then went in a different direction. Actually, if I recall correctly, it sort of took off on its own down a more romantic path. My poetry does that sometimes, wandering off on its own.

I'm sure I've heard of the Mimsy Were the Borogoves story, but I can't say that I ever read it, so it didn't really serve as inspiration for "Wondrous Gobbledygook". I have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (it was one of the books I had my daughter read in home-school way back when), and Jabberwocky, so I'm sure there is a bit of Lewis Carroll in there somewhere.

Senior Critic

Post May 02, 2011, 12:18:53 AM

bottomdweller wrote:twas brillig, and the slithy toves - with a twist of romance. Sweet!!

Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic at heart.

Return to April 2011