The Day Upside Down by Martin A. Ramos

Tell us what you thought about the March 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post March 23, 2011, 10:36:22 PM

The Day Upside Down by Martin A. Ramos

This is fairly well-written, but very reminiscent of old "Twilight Zone" material. The characterization seemed a little stiff, and I thought the opening two sections were maybe a little too heavy on the description of idealized physiques. Other than that, not bad at all.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post April 12, 2011, 03:01:23 PM

Re: The Day Upside Down by Martin A. Ramos

I thought the scene-building in this was absolutely excellent. Mr. Ramos's imagery is as good as any I've read.

I noticed the attention to male physique, as well, but as a recurring motif to link the two over time, it worked pretty well. The imagery of the generic Greco-Roman statuary is somewhat metonymic to the way these two disparate individuals think they must fly OR die. But it turns-out they are doomed, either way.

The fact that both were undone by their own hubris is another motif that linked them through time and space. Very cool.

The two stories are so thematically linked with the addition of the powerful overlord who will tolerate no delay, and can kill on a whim.

I liked this one quite a bit.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Return to March 2011