New Issue Online

Tell us what you thought about the February 2011 issue!

WebMaven

Post February 14, 2011, 01:30:19 AM

New Issue Online

And here we go, kicking off another year of Aphelion. This is the start of our fifteenth year, which is pretty exciting. On behalf of all the editors of Aphelion, I want to extend a heartfelt thanks to every single member of the Aphelion community for making this one of the best places on the web.

We not only have a bunch of new stories, poems and features for you this month, but our editors have selected their favourite items from 2010 for you to revisit.

Enjoy, and thanks again! Here's to another outstanding year!

Long Fiction Editor

Post February 21, 2011, 02:57:36 PM

Re: New Issue Online

I have to say, I really feel bad about not participating yet this month, but the writing is on a roll, and I'm going with it. Ironic; the portion I'm working on has a heavy romantic theme . . . and I couldn't break away from it to do a measly romantic flash.

I've only read the poems so far, nothing else . . . if my muse lets go of me for a few hours, I'll be back. The way this is going, though, I really hope she (?) doesn't.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post February 23, 2011, 01:48:48 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:I have to say, I really feel bad about not participating yet this month, but the writing is on a roll, and I'm going with it. Ironic; the portion I'm working on has a heavy romantic theme . . . and I couldn't break away from it to do a measly romantic flash.

I've only read the poems so far, nothing else . . . if my muse lets go of me for a few hours, I'll be back. The way this is going, though, I really hope she (?) doesn't.

However, Lester is subconsciously channeling Seanan McGuire!

"Learn to be a hermit. Learn to say 'I'm sorry, but I can't ... ((write a Flash entry)), I booked that night for revisions and I don't have any other time to do it this week."

So when your eyes glaze over Lester, check out this month's feature!

Long Fiction Editor

Post February 23, 2011, 02:57:42 PM

So when your eyes glaze over Lester, check out this month's feature!
Tao, I'd completely forgotten that I had indeed read the feature . . . not bad.

And, I just now looked over the short stories section and found one of mine as year's best! Again, I am humbly honored, and thanks to the editors!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Senior Editor

Post March 03, 2011, 03:35:46 AM

I just want to warn everyone that I will be pulling all my Mare Inebrium stories out of the archives sometime soon. This will be your last chance to read my own Mare stories for the foreseeable future. They will most likely be vanished by the time the April issue goes live. More news as I have freedom to relate it. Stay tuned to this station for the latest updates.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Master Critic

Post March 03, 2011, 06:37:58 AM

For Vila:

I'm very curious about this...waiting for some news more...eh,eh... :D
But it's a pity that - even though for a while- such stories will be no more available online... :roll:

Stay tuned to this station for the latest updates.

We all will...eh,eh :D

Senior Editor

Post March 03, 2011, 05:20:42 PM

OK, here's the deal:
I'm looking into publishing an anthology of my own work. Part of that process is to pull the stories under consideration offline for rewrites and possible expansion into longer, more detailed stories. This is so that people who might buy the anthology don't have to complain about paying for stories they could read online for free. The Mare Inebrium starter kit, the "how it came to be" page, and *all* Mare stories by *everyone else* will stay untouched. Some of my other, non-Mare Inebrium stories will also be pulled for the same deal. I'll be writing up a placeholder page to substitute for every story I pull. The placeholder page will have a short blurb about the story so that readers get a glimpse of the missing material.

If anyone who wants to write Mare stories in the future feels that they need my own stories as reference works, I suggest that they click over to the Series page, go to the Mare Inebrium story archive, and save a copy of my stuff to their personal computers before I start pulling things down. All my existing Mare stories, including the two credited to "Claude Hopper", are under consideration. Also under consideration are my Collector's Museum series stories "Abducted" and the unfinished "Threat of Valleor." After my stories are pulled, I can send copies of the originals to Mare writers *under the conditions that they use them purely for research in writing their own Mare stories.* (Or they could just buy the anthology if it actually gets published!) :D

My Bethdish stories "Stranded" and "Grudge Match", as well as my two "Nightwatch" stories *are not* going to be pulled - because all four contain characters to which I do not own the rights.

Now, this shouldn't damage the Mare series in any way. There are 71 stories in the series so far. I've only written 10, plus 2 poems. True, mine lead to the rest, but mine aren't the be-all-and-end-all. I'm still open to submissions, I'll still be the series editor, and other Aphelion writers have written Mare stories that I consider to be better than my own anyway. Even if I were to die tomorrow, the Mare would keep going on forever. You know what? I'm awfully proud of that fact!

So, this isn't a "goodbye" but rather a "wish me luck, 'cause I'm aiming for a paycheck!"

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."

Editor Emeritus

Post March 03, 2011, 10:02:52 PM

I get

absent.html
Aphelion's Mare Inebrium Shared Universe Experiment -Introduction.htm
bouncer.htm
claude01.htm
comedawn.html
FastFriends.html
FlashCrowd01.html
mare_inebrium.htm
mare1.html
marekit.html
marelist.html
redrum.html
redshift.html
sinsof.html
study.htm
timeline.html

Senior Editor

Post March 03, 2011, 10:21:40 PM

Aphelion's Mare Inebrium Shared Universe Experiment -Introduction.htm
FlashCrowd01.html
marekit.html
marelist.html
timeline.html

Those are the Mare Inebrium ones that won't vanish.

abduct1.html - abduct6.html will also vanish, as will abducted.html

Once I get the placholder pages written, I'll send you a complete list. But you'll probably need to make only a few changes, since I plan to upload the placeholder pages with the same filenames as those files I pull. Your links can stay unchanged, as far as I can tell. I will need your help making sure I got everything I need to get offline, though.

Senior Editor

Post March 03, 2011, 10:36:43 PM

I realize that this will mean that you, I, and possibly Bob will have to do a little bit extra over the coming months, but in the end, I do believe it'll pay off.

Master Critic

Post March 04, 2011, 03:01:53 AM

For Vila:

Thanks for the explanation...and we all wish you luck, of course...eh,eh!!! :D

Senior Editor

Post March 04, 2011, 09:05:29 PM

All right, just as a test to see if I did my sums correctly... Ah! Good, the *serialized* version of "Abducted" in 6 parts is now replaced by my simplified placeholder pages. The story-as-one-file is still clickable from my Archives page and other links. That's only temporary, 'cause I'll have to pull that file eventually too. But for now, I'm satisfied that the placeholder pages do work. I've downloaded copies of damn near everything I've ever published in Aphelion. All the Mare stuff I've written, all the Bethdish stuff I've written, etc. Now, here is a list of what I need to pull over the next week, and the order I need to pull them:

Fast Friends (Already rewritten, with 500 words cut and 2000 new words added in a 2.0 version that isn't online.)
Myths and Legends (I just wrote this one less than a week ago, so it isn't online anywhere in any case. Sorry, but you'll have to buy the anthology to read it.)
The Bouncer
At The Spaceport Bar: The Mare Inebrium - version 2.0 (This one needs a new title, unless the 3.0 version winds up being the first story in the anthology.)
The Absent-Minded Shall Inherit
Sins Of The Fathers
Brother, Can You Spare A Crime?
A Study In Alizarin Crimson

Those are the ones in my audition file. If the anthology gets a green light, all is well and good and these others will be pulled:

Resdhift Sue Sings The Blues
Sue's Song – Haunted By Your Love
Trial By Intimacy
Came The Dawn
Mare Inebrium - A Filksong
Abducted (Which will be rewritten into a Mare story. Tom Darby relating his adventures in the Mare Inebrium? Woohoo! )

As I said in another post, if you need a copy of the above stories for research in writing your Mare stories then you need to download them quickly. The first group will be replaced with placeholders by March 12th. The second group will be replaced by March 18th. I'll be rewriting everything as quickly as I can, as well as writing a dozen or so new Mare stories from my outline files.

What's the worst that can happen? The anthology audition gets rejected and I upload new and improved versions of my stories, as well as a brand new story you've never seen. What's the best that can happen? Stop a moment and think about that. I'll wait... Ready?

How about a whole series of Mare anthologies featuring other writer's stories? Yes, I have "a cunning plan!"

Now you begin to understand. It's not just me. I'm aiming higher than that. I want to see the *whole* series in bookstores all over the world! I've got to break the trail, just like in '95 with the first story in the series. Just exactly like starting the series originally, it falls to me to establish the market we'll need. I'm not the best writer to ever turn in a Mare story. No, that honor falls to Rob & Jeff & Bill & Wishbone & Kate & Jaimie & Nate & Jim & Mark & Gareth & Gareth, and many more. I'm not the best. I was just the first of many. Any success with the Mare belongs to each and every one of us that shares the honor of writing in the series. I learned more from y'all than y'all did from me.

Sure, I want to get paid for the last 30 years worth of work I've put into the series. (Yeah, it *has* been that long since I wrote the first words of the first Mare story. On paper. With a ballpoint pen!) But just like Aphelion itself, any success for any of us is a success for us all. I gonna be workin' my ass off, but I ain't alone! This is for all of us.

Dan

Editor Emeritus

Post March 06, 2011, 01:45:44 PM

Vila wrote:How about a whole series of Mare anthologies featuring other writer's stories? Yes, I have "a cunning plan!"

Now you begin to understand. It's not just me. I'm aiming higher than that. I want to see the *whole* series in bookstores all over the world! I've got to break the trail, just like in '95 with the first story in the series. Just exactly like starting the series originally, it falls to me to establish the market we'll need.

First, I wish you the best of luck. There's some great fiction in there, and more of the world should see it.

I'm not sure which way you're going, but the "other writers" work part may be a lot harder than you think. Speaking from difficulties I had with the Flash Anthology as Print on Demand, multi-author limits you a lot on POD or ebook options. For example, Lulu distribution is very limited without buying extras. The iBookstore is virtually impossible to go directly to because of the multi-author without Lulu to siphon it through. (And it's taken six months to still not hear a yes or no from them. We're still "on review.") I'd love to spread to Amazon and Kindle, but Amazon won't split up author revenues like Lulu would, and Lulu and Amazon don't have an agreement for distribution. At least, not yet. In my case, they'd be paying me, and I'd have to pay the individuals, which is a level of work and headaches I was not looking for.

Mare, Nightwatch, etc. They're all good enough to be in print. The trick is how, and how to get them read.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post March 06, 2011, 09:49:50 PM

kailhofer wrote:
Vila wrote:How about a whole series of Mare anthologies featuring other writer's stories? Yes, I have "a cunning plan!"

Now you begin to understand. It's not just me. I'm aiming higher than that. I want to see the *whole* series in bookstores all over the world! I've got to break the trail, just like in '95 with the first story in the series. Just exactly like starting the series originally, it falls to me to establish the market we'll need.

First, I wish you the best of luck. There's some great fiction in there, and more of the world should see it.

I'm not sure which way you're going, but the "other writers" work part may be a lot harder than you think. Speaking from difficulties I had with the Flash Anthology as Print on Demand, multi-author limits you a lot on POD or ebook options. For example, Lulu distribution is very limited without buying extras. The iBookstore is virtually impossible to go directly to because of the multi-author without Lulu to siphon it through. (And it's taken six months to still not hear a yes or no from them. We're still "on review.") I'd love to spread to Amazon and Kindle, but Amazon won't split up author revenues like Lulu would, and Lulu and Amazon don't have an agreement for distribution. At least, not yet. In my case, they'd be paying me, and I'd have to pay the individuals, which is a level of work and headaches I was not looking for.

Mare, Nightwatch, etc. They're all good enough to be in print. The trick is how, and how to get them read.

Nate

I think Dan is hoping for an Actual Publisher to take him up on a second, multi-author / multi-national Mare anthology. That would reduce (if not eliminate) the weirdness involved in getting "Flash of Aphelion" into print (or POD). George R. R. Martin's "Wild Cards" anthologies are shared-world projects that have been appearing (frequently in the early years, sporadically lately) for a couple of decades, more or less. Mind you, they are mostly in the form of "mosaic novels" where the individual pieces fit into an overall plot... (The interesting thing is that the authors who created particular recurring characters are the ones who generally write the pieces in which their characters play the leading role.)

So we should all buy multiple copies of Dan's book (and coerce -- er, encourage our friends and relatives to do likewise) to make a multi-author followup book seem like a money-making (or at least not money-losing) proposition!
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post March 06, 2011, 10:01:38 PM

Speaking of publishers, I haven't yet seen the One Year After type articles yet on the Decline and Fall of Borders. B&N is a little better positioned, but they could go too.

When that happens, I'm not at all sure what happens to the whole field of publishing. It's almost Matrix grade: "What use is a publisher if there's no one to sell it?".

My current guess is that in some five to seven years On Demand will be indistinguishable from Amazon. At first from an Old School mentality I thought only B&N would be able to afford the machines, but I can't forget Wallmart's ruthless efficiency. "Oh cool, it's that book by that Dan guy. Click Here to print a copy!"

Return to February 2011