Corruption's Device by Mike Phillips

Tell us what you thought about the February 2011 issue!

Long Fiction Editor

Post February 24, 2011, 02:25:59 PM

Corruption's Device by Mike Phillips

Can't say as I thought very much of this one . . . the plot is okay, but the dialog and characterization need work. The protagonist's habit of explaining everything -- aloud, and usually to herself -- gets old pretty quickly.

Mike . . . the basics are pretty promising, but you need to work on more subtlety in your delivery. Maybe consider trying a different viewpoint, like first-person.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post February 25, 2011, 10:29:13 AM

Re: Corruption's Device by Mike Phillips

I don’t agree. I liked it. Mr. Phillips’s Crow Witch series (I’ve read three of them, so far,) is an interesting little ride. Miss Weigenmeister has a peculiar way of speaking, but I see that as more of a characterization element than a lacking in the dialogue. Everybody else’s dialogue is pretty good.

Mr. Phillips manages to bring a little individuality to each character with the way each one interacts with people they’ve known for a long time and by the way they interact with her. I agree that it seems a little conveniently informative, at times, but the characters are Mr. Phillips’s to create, and if he wants them chatty, fine. Perhaps Miss Weigenmeister uses some subtle magic to bring-out the chattiness in folks so she can find-out what’s going on without having to directly question them. She tries to keep a low profile, after all.

This story is less dark than some of the others, nobody even dies in it. Though there are hints that Kent would have gone a lot further had she not stopped him.

I look forward to more in this series, and could easily imagine it expanding into longer works.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Master Critic

Post February 25, 2011, 02:26:49 PM

Re: Corruption's Device by Mike Phillips

I have to agree with Bill on this one. I liked the story, liked the crow and thought the characters were developed in line with the content of the story. Not too much but enough to see them in the mind’s eye as Mr. Phillips intended, I’m sure.

Again, Bill says it all for me.
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to February 2011