Q & A by Brian Rowe

Tell us what you thought about the February 2011 issue!

Editor Emeritus

Post February 23, 2011, 02:45:12 AM

Q & A by Brian Rowe

This tale has a nice soft premise - a one-hit director on a figurative Sunset Boulevard desperately fighting away boredom and alienation by connecting to the fan base of his Cult Classic movie.

Are we even capable of creating the right audience mentality for a Cult Classic movie anymore? Or was that born of a time when simply less was going on? I'll suggest Rocky Horror as the signature example. Even as late as 1990 it still felt like a valid entry for an evening's entertainment to go to the weekly midnight showing at a local college activity center, surrounded by Pizza and Mountain Dew, with a few of the regulars dressed up and throwing rice. Now we might be in a Rotten Tomatoes world, where The Consensus proclaims, "Hated It. Next!".

This reminds me of the old effect from the SF anthology world, when some 100 stories would be "celebrated" and one of them would be the sales-anchor of a new anthology to get readers to take a chance on the new writers. Asimov's Nightfall had one of the longest shelf lives, but there were others. I'm not sure we are capable of that brand of loyalty anymore either.
Last edited by TaoPhoenix on February 23, 2011, 02:56:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 23, 2011, 02:52:38 AM

Re: Q & A by Brian Rowe

New topic.

Observe this little remark in the story:
"When his controversial 2002 feature about the Columbine massacre went straight-to-DVD, only to be pulled from shelves days later due to customer complaints, he knew his days as a horror director were numbered. "

That chills me. For any other genre that might be valid. But horror? "Too controversial"? "Awww, whazza matter, movie scare you? Does horror need to be content sanitized to make it nice and safe?"

P.s. Great Ending!

Long Fiction Editor

Post February 24, 2011, 02:39:49 PM

Ah, wait a minute . . . the guy gets a whole chainsaw, clear through the middle of him, back-to-front -- and he's still standing??!!

That must have been one damn stiff drink . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post February 24, 2011, 03:36:04 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:Ah, wait a minute . . . the guy gets a whole chainsaw, clear through the middle of him, back-to-front -- and he's still standing??!!

That must have been one damn stiff drink . . .

I'm not sure, but I think the (deactivated) chainsaw may have been holding him up. Well, the parts that weren't falling out, anyway.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to February 2011