Apocalypse by Heather Kuehl

Tell us what you thought about the February 2011 issue!

Editor Emeritus

Post February 23, 2011, 02:27:48 AM

Apocalypse by Heather Kuehl

I would like to say I am gaining more respect for Haiku and related short poetry froms due to all the hard work of the Aphelion poets. I enjoy longer poems to ponder for a day, but when I am too tired to do them justice, the short forms are encapsulated enough for my reflexes alone to carry me through.

Here, les'see...

Angels awaiting battle ... could be stuff of a movie there! However, even if Man failed all the tests, it sounds like we will be rescued. Notice the Alternate-Dark poem that could result if you switch one word to make it "Demons prepare for battle".

What is the name for a 6 7 6 meter? Is it still variant Haiku because of the three lines, or is there a whole series of names for different syllable counts? One of the neat things about an online group is it can quickly develop whole new special variants faster than names can emerge from the Literati. 6 7 6, heck, why not 7 13 7?

Senior Critic

Post February 23, 2011, 12:33:17 PM

Re: Apocalypse by Heather Kuehl

What is the name for a 6 7 6 meter? Is it still variant Haiku because of the three lines, or is there a whole series of names for different syllable counts?

As far as I know, it would probably still be considered a haiku, or something akin to a haiku. Last I knew, there weren't different names for haiku-ish poems following a different syllable count. There are different names, but based on subject and theme, not on the syllable count.

If you want to be more precise and correct, haiku are traditionally about nature, so speculative haiku derivatives should be called scifaiku or horrorku (back to the labels thing again - can't seem to get away from 'em). I don't know why "fantasyku" didn't catch on. I think fantasy haiku derivatives are usually lumped in with scifaiku.

There is a traditional Japanese form related to haiku called senryu. Again, they vary by theme: haiku tend to be about nature, while senryu tend to be about the darkly humourous or cynical side of human nature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senry%C5%AB

I just ran across an interesting term that covers all very short poetry, and might be a better term when the "trueness" of a poem's haiku nature is in question: micropoetry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropoetry
I kind of like that term, although some may argue it only applies to tweet-length verse. Alas, that's the downside of labels and definitions.

Too many people get hung up on terminology and nomenclature and lose sight of the substance of the work being discussed. I've seen it all afore - I once received a rather rude reply when I told a science fiction author that I thought making a fuss over whether people call his work SF or sci-fi was rather silly, and that it wasn't that important when compared to the greater scheme of things. The SF author got in a snit over my comment. (I'm serious about my work, but I don't take myself THAT seriously to take offence if someone calls my speculative poetry sci-fi poetry, or something like that.)

Some people take this label business TOO seriously.
Last edited by RHFay on February 23, 2011, 12:46:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

Senior Critic

Post February 23, 2011, 12:45:28 PM

Re: Apocalypse by Heather Kuehl

Oh, just to throw more confusion into the mix, some may say this is in no way, shape, or form a haiku or speculative haiku derivative because it DOES NOT follow the 5-7-5 pattern. Some see the 5-7-5 as a requirement for haiku in English, although this rule is changing within the circle of regular composers of haiku in English. However, I've run into people still clinging to the 5-7-5 rule, which is interesting when trying to sell them things that follow the more minimalistic approach.

Even those who follow a more minimalistic approach may have issues with the length of Heather's "Apocalypse". I could see certain corners of the haiku/scifaiku world saying that this one is "too wordy". Sometimes, you just can't win. It's all basically a matter of opinion anyway.

By the way, I checked, this one would fit the more general micropoetry category, even if such a category is narrowed to tweet-length verse only, since it seems to have 71 characters (with spaces, not counting the title).
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

Return to February 2011