Editorial and winter

Tell us what you thought about the February 2011 issue!

Editor Emeritus

Post February 15, 2011, 07:08:23 AM

Editorial and winter

Anyone want to post Winter thoughts?

I wouldn't have called this the top 5 ugliest winters weather wise - but then I am in a little weather pocket (SouthShore Mass) where the preciptation didn't pile up into 5 foot stacks.

I had to pick that word carefully, because I didn't get a lot of snow.

What I did get was a full house spread of the strangest combos of melting slush, freezing hail, and runoff forming mini glaciers that just would not melt.

Master Critic

Post February 15, 2011, 08:48:38 AM

Re: Editorial and winter

Actually, there's not so much snow where I live now, by the sea...but as soon as you get to the Alps, to Switzerland or to Austria, you can find mountains entirely made up of snow along the way...eh,eh...
Not to speak of some Scandinavian countries, like Norway, last time I was there - it was in April...- you could see the railway stations surrounded by mounds of snow...as tall :shock: as the station itself...eh,h... :D
Anyway, remember, as the saying goes, "No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow..."...except during some very looooong Ice Ages, of course...eh,eh :mrgreen: :lol: and there has been some which lasted for more than a million years in the far past of Earth...that should have been a very looooong waiting...eh,eh :!:

Senior Critic

Post February 15, 2011, 12:19:18 PM

Here in upstate New York, it has been one of the snowiest winters I've seen. It got to the point that I didn't know what to do with the snow shovelled from the driveway, since the piles of previously shovelled snow got so high. It could have been worse; we missed at least a couple of the storms that hit south of us.

Part of the problem has been that, in previous winters, we would often have some melting between storms. This winter has been different. Up until very recently, we've had few if any days above freezing.

I blame the volcanoes.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

Master Critic

Post February 21, 2011, 02:01:33 PM

Here in Western Pennsylvania out winters are unpredictable. We had our snow, it melted but today on the weather the forecast is for more snow.

Johnstown, 70 miles from Pittsburgh, can have snow when Pittsburgh is clear. It's the hills that surround us, I guess.
Tesla Lives!!!

Long Fiction Editor

Post February 21, 2011, 02:51:12 PM

Here by the Lake (the big, dirty, ugly one) in NE Ohio . . . I grew up here, so I'm used to this, but I got pretty scared this morning; the ice storm took out my electricity and I woke up to a dead house. Luckily it's not a leaky house, and it only got down to about 60F when the power finally came back on.

It's been unusual, though . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to February 2011