Or Nobody Does by Ian Cordingley

Tell us what you thought about the December 2010 issue!

Master Critic

Post December 29, 2010, 02:40:09 PM

Or Nobody Does by Ian Cordingley

Not a bad little tale, this one. And the ending is (was for me, anyway) a surprise. Always a good thing. Not at all what I was expecting.

There are a few issues with grammar and syntax. Nothing major, just little things like no question mark at the end of a question and the word 'expect' for 'except.' A little more proofing would help.

As a vignette, a snapshot of an entire society, it worked.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Commenter

Post January 04, 2011, 02:46:51 AM

Gosh, security inspections. Where have I heard about those before? Could it be some kind of a parable of our modern lives? You know when you decide to get in an automobile you give up your civil rights, don't you?
che frances monro - http://www.chemonro.com

Master Critic

Post January 04, 2011, 12:33:52 PM

Everyone wonders why I drive my Cutless Supreme 1990. It's not like I'm saving money - I've practically rebuilt the engine and now I'm working on the frame. It's not what it has, but what it doesn't have: GPS and a loan on it. I figure some government satelitte doesn't need to know where I am all the time. Facebook doesn't need all my information, either - I have a handful of 'friends' - that's plenty.
I worry about my children - they don't know what privacy means...everyone texts, everyone puts their lives on facebook, GPS is a good idea in case you have an accident - they can call the ambulance immediately. Stay the f*#k out of my business. If I'm in an accident, I'll decide whether or not I should call 911 or walk to a farmhouse, thank you anyways.
The first time I came across this Big Brother mindset was in an antiques mall in Atlanta - there was a camera and a sign, "You are being videotaped for your own protection."
Please remain inside, inspection, internal inspection required...It's like that commercial: The future is coming, the future is here!
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 06, 2011, 11:40:54 PM

I couldn't figure out all of what was going on in the setting . . . specifically, why are they getting rained on? Is this a convertible? Are all cars open-topped? The left their coats behind?

Damn nosy machines . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to December 2010