Seconds Lost... by Roderick D. Turner

Tell us what you thought about the December 2010 issue!

Long Fiction Editor

Post December 21, 2010, 10:37:15 PM

Seconds Lost... by Roderick D. Turner

Alien implants, lost time, weird dreams, and some kind of secret agency, depicted in a slightly over-the-top manner.

Kinda reminds me of X-Files.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post December 29, 2010, 01:16:13 PM

Seconds Lost

Jan is an operative for the mysterious Oracle Agency, who experiences something quite outside the realm of her ordinary life. She is determined to use all her resources to find out exactly what happened during the 60 seconds she lost during the past 24 hours. The author nails it right on the head when Jan says, "If it's not recorded it never happened. No wonder there are so few real discoveries in science these days."

I'll be the first to admit that the subject of this story is one of my favorites. The pace is well-timed, drawing the reader through it effortlessly. The grammar was precise - with just a bit of cursing for flavor and definition of character.

I'm glad we're able to read about this in a fictional setting - if this would have actually happened, no one would ever know about it because of THEM - they know who they are!
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Commenter

Post January 07, 2011, 03:47:38 AM

I'm afraid I didn't like this one so much, I think the author was going for ideas over characters and I prefer character drama. This was a mystery story "What is going on here", where the big ideas were saved for the denouement at the end, and then... it ends. Sorry, I couldn't get into it. Big ideas, but not really explored in terms of human impact?
che frances monro - http://www.chemonro.com

Return to December 2010