Hollywood Squared by P. F. White

Tell us what you thought about the December 2010 issue!

Long Fiction Editor

Post December 21, 2010, 10:12:28 PM

Hollywood Squared by P. F. White

(Lights come up to applause and cheers)

This is one of the funniest things I've read in a while -- everything the title promises. Read it!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post December 22, 2010, 03:43:42 PM

Hollywood 2ed

Things are tough all over, especially in L.A.C.A. – and everyone NEEDS something desperately! This story is cleverly told by the author from six different points of view, including a trophy wife, a steroid inflated wannabe, a very lonely receptionist, and the person everyone wants or wants to kill: Jack Spade.

I wondered what the heck was going on as the series of unfortunate events became more and more impossible – until I read the following paragraph about midway through:

“Ace threw a desk at Spade. Spade could not cut through it in time. His blade got lodged in the metal halfway through. The desk hit him and its momentum carried him out of the office and through the window. He fell fifteen stories onto the hood of Ben's dilapidated convertible. Luckily he still had his katana. And his training. He brandished his sword in Ben's face.”

Really? A 15 story fall and he’s ready to fight the next battle – oh! I get it! It’s a parody, and a funny one at that.

Towards the end, the villain in the story says: “Jack Blade nodded and assumed his stance. ‘I think I'm going to like it here. So many roles to play...and all of them fresh and violent.’"

I REALLY liked the last line in this story. Hilarious! Good job!
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Commenter

Post January 06, 2011, 09:25:24 PM

How Hollywood! Let's do lunch. Have your people call my people.
che frances monro - http://www.chemonro.com

Return to December 2010